Video Files on Forum ×

Changing key assignments for drums

jmorley

Every sound the keyboard makes starts off as a basic "raw" digital recording "snippet" of the actual sound being emulated.  These are known as "samples".  The keyboard then applies a set of wave shaping parameters to the samples, when they are played, to give the sound its finished, or "polished" character.  The Tone (sound) Editor only modifys or varies these wave shaping parameters to change the finished sound's character somewhat, but it can not change the basic wave sample.  That is to say, it can not substitute an accordian wave sample for a piano wave sample.  The same applies to the individual drum sounds.  The Tone Editor can not substitute a crash cymbal wave sample for a bass drum wave sample on the "bass drum" key.  That wave sample to key assignment (known as a map) is permanently stored in Read Only Memory at the factory and can not be changed by the Tone Editor.  So that key is always going to sound basically like a bass drum, no matter what is done to it with the Tone Editor.  High end workstations ($2000 USD and up) can do what you are talking about, but not keyboards in the price range of the CTK/WK models.

There may be a workaround, if you do not mind adding a piece of gear to your set up and have a fast PC or MAC or laptop.  You could split the keyboard at the last octave or half octave or so, and output it via USB-MIDI to a DAW software package that would allow you to do, with a VSTi drumkit, what you were trying to do with the keyboard, but the VSTi drumkit would have to have pitch (key) assignable sounds.  You would not be able to differentiate between drum sounds by MIDI channel as the CTK/WK's output ALL notes from the lower side of the split  ONLY on Channel 3, and you can not change that.  In other words, you could not output notes for different drum sounds on different MIDI channels from the lower split zone.  The CTK/WK does not allow that.

Good luck, if you try this, and I wish I could help you more with it, but I am still a dyed in the wool hardware guy, when it comes to sounds.  My experience with VSTi sound systems is practically nil.

Thanks for the suggested workaround, I thought about bringing in a computer but I really want to focus on live performance using the split - synth/drums with an added bass guitarist. Just in the beginning stages of working it out now. Playing keyboard and drums at the same time is difficult but really cool.

Really want to 'replicate' some of the funky computer music being generated by Monstercat in a live performance.

Aha !

Now I understand why you are trying to do what you are trying to do.  I take it that you do not have anything posted on Monstercat yet.  Let us know if and when you do, particularly if you do it with a Casio board.

Good luck with this !

Regards,

Ted