Newbie question

The 7200 is a bit of a culture shock after the 1300 I've been using, but I'm slowly working my way through the manual and trying to learn the functions as I go. I have a reference to a large number of drums but I haven't found any information on how to access them. Any help appreciated but try to keep it simple so that I can understand it.

Thanks

Hey, "guy"

On the TONE selection panel to the right of the display: Press the  " J " button - that is the one labeled:  " GM/DRUMS ".

The top line of the display will show:  " [[ TONE ]] - - - - J:001 ".

The second line of the display will show:  " GM Piano  1 ".

Start madly cranking the Data Wheel clockwise until the top line shows: " [[ TONE ]]  - - - - J:129 "

and the second line shows: " StandardSet1 ".

This is the start of the drum kits, and they run through TONE number 146.

Whatever drum kit is showing on the second line is assigned to, and can be played from, the keys.

Now, a quicker way to do this, when you are at TONE number 001, is to press the " - " (minus) button once to move to the top of the list (TONE #146)

and then turn the Data Wheel counterclockwise to move downward through the drum kits.  You have to press the " - " (minus) button, because

when you are at the bottom of a list, the Data Weel won't "turn it over", but the " - " (minus) button will.  The same applies when you are at the top of

a list of selections.  The Data Wheel won't go any further, but the " + " (plus) button will turn it over, back to the bottom of the list.  Once you have done

that, then you can go back to the Data Wheel to increment or decrement through the list.  This saves a lot of wear and tear on the Data Wheel, but

particularly on the tip of your right index finger.

When you have some time, you may want to go back to that " GM Piano  1 " [[ TONE - - - - J:001 ]] , and work your way through all 128 GM (General MIDI) tones to become familiar with what is there.  You will find that there may be times that one of these tones will sound or "work" better, in a "mix" of tones, than the equivalent CTK/WK "native" tone.  The CTK/WK native string and brass ensembles can come across as being a bit brash, while the equivalent GM tones are a little more mellow.   I, personally, prefer to layer the GM strings with the CTK/WK Stereo Grand Piano, rather than with the CTK/WK native strings, for that very reason.  Plus, there are some tones in this GM bank that are just not in any of the CTK/WK "native" tone banks, particularly the sound effects (SFX), and some of the synth and pad tones.

Have fun !

Regards,

Ted

• Like 1

Ted

Thanks for that excellent explanation. I hadn't explored that far yet. As I get older I find that my learning ability is slowing up and I have to take things very slowly to get them to register.

Coming into keyboards at 73 after only ever playing guitars has been a real culture shock, but enjoyable as my desire to learn hasn't diminished like my learning ability has.

• 1 year later...

This question has already been answered for this poster at:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/14164-how-to-listen-styles-casio-in-ас7-format-on-the-computer/&do=findComment&comment=42306

It is best not to post multiple copies of a question into different sub-forums or to add them to old topics that are really on a different subject.