Video Files on Forum ×

PX350 MIDI sequencing and mapping tracks using DP8

jazzsongs

Hi,

Is it possible to MIDI map tracks (multi-sequence) on my PX350 using DP8? I have a MOTU Micro Lite and am using the Windows platform. There is scant to no documentation on this subject that I know of. Looking at the keyboard, it appears this is not available with any function buttons or nested anywhere therein that I can see. Will I have to go back to my Yamaha S08 to sequence songs outside of the DP8 box? 

Thanks.

jazzsongs

I must state, at the outset, that I do not own, and have no experience with, the Casio PX models, but do have considerable experience with their (electronically similar) WK "workstations" and their CTK equivalents.  I noticed that your post has been out there for several days without a reply, so I will try to supply an answer, to the best of my ability, from my research of the PX-350 manual.  If I have made any erroneous assumptions or statements, I certainly welcome corrections from any PX-350 owners, along with any possbile workarounds that could assist you.

Normally, you would program the PC/MAC-based DAW program (in your case, the MOTU DP-8), on a track-by-track basis, with the correct MSB, LSB, and Program Change codes, from the PX-350's Tone List (Manual Appendix Pages A-1 through A-4), for proper selection of Banks and Tones on the PX-350.  An alternative would be to download, or write, and install, in the DP-8 program, the equivalent of a Cakewalk (Sonar) "Instrument Definition File", which allows for "mouse click" set up of the above.  Barring the above, the next choice is to use the keyboard's "Mixer" or "Performance" function to manually assign (map) the keyboard's tones to the incoming MIDI channels.  Typically, these are considered "workstation" functions, and as the PX-350 is, by design, more of a hybrid digital/stage piano with limited arranger (one-man-bander) features than a "workstation", it lacks the "Mixer/Performance" functions of a true workstation.  This is not to say that all digital/stage pianos lack these functions, but these particular models do.  I assume from your original post, that this is what you are trying to do.  If it is, and you want to use a DP-8/PX-350 set up, then you will need to program the DP-8 to transmit  the correct Bank/Tone selection codes to the PX-350.  Also, if that is what you are truing to do, I certainly understand your frustration.  Lacking a proper "Instrument Definition File", I always find it much faster to use the hardware (keyboard) "Mixer/Performance" set up, at least in the initial stages, than mapping Tone List codes (0-127 vs 1-128) to DAW tracks, even though this foregoes the ability to make automated mid-track tone (instrument) changes from the DAW software.

Regards,

Ted

Thanks Ted for jumping in on this one. Having used the PX350 for creating multi-track midi arrangements, I can back what Ted is saying re specific data that must be assigned with your DAW-I am not familiar with the DP8 software but have used several others such as Cakewalk, etc. I have many posts in the PX350 forum about the PX350's lack of programmable settings for creating multitrack setups from within its architecture-it will not store any mixer settings internally-unless you create and save an internal "song" file. In other words-it has no typical internal memory that will store any changes you make in real time for using in a multitrack arrangement, except for a few simple settings such as "tones". So any data other than tones must be re-sent through the DAW, such as individual volumes, panning etc. At least that is what my experience has been.any settings you send via a DAW must be newly saved in that specific song file internally if you want to keep those changes.  I managed to send program and bank changes through my sequencers as well as pan and volume and then save these as a "song" file. You can also save this as an .smf, internally with the thumb drive mor to your DAW.

If you read my posts about the PX350, you will see I have had no luck in accessing some of the other parameters not available in the PX350 hardware-such as depth of reverb, chorus, filters etc. using any type of external hardware controller and i have tried several, maybe it's my lack of being able to program sysex commands and certain control change messages which didn't seem to respond-but since I discovered the PX350 does not store any changes I can affect this way (I was able to change DSP depth using an external controller and i think it was CC 99) I found it not worth the extra work. Easier to just use a DAW. Even that bit of programming required studying the midi implementation chart for the PX350 which I think is still available at Casio's documentation/download website.If you study this even a little, you can see that the settings are there internally, but just not accessible with any hardware controls. Almost as if the programmers were getting ready to implement finer hardware control, but left the work incomplete, or for the next level of Casio PX's (see below). You can also read about these new hardware-accessible features in posts here re the 360 and 560, which are proving to be not completely foolproof either. Guess one needs to keep a fool around to work some of this stuff out. (Sited-George Carlin, "Occupation Fool".

To make a long answer into a short one, yes you will have to revert to another keyboard with a full programmable/editing internal multi-track sequencer if you want to create free-standing without a DAW or computer attached. Unfortunately for people like me who invested in a PX350, the newer PX360 and 560 even more so have implemented many more editable parameters within their 17-track sequencers that just are no there in the PX350. As Ted said, the Privia series have all been modeled in line with the typical digital piano design rather than a workstation, as are the CTK and WK series, but without the weighted piano-action keyboard which is why I still go to that for my pianistic gyrations, and my workstations if I want to delve into internal sequencer parameters (wow is that a mouthful!!)