Numbers assigned to songs on SD card

Rafal

To load a song from SD card, we must type some number or use buttons +/- to change numbers up/down .
I cannot figure out how those numbers are assigned to songs.
Every time I add song or modify old one,
numbers assigned to songs are different.
It is not assigned, based neither on alphabetic order nor on last modification.
Going up/down to find a song among many songs is iritating.

Any idea how it works?

Rafal

Typical keyboard (and computer) operating systems index (list/order) files on storage devices by the ASCII Codes of the characters in the file name, beginning with the ASCII Code of the first character in the file name, so a file name beginning with a capital "A" (Decimal ASCII Code 65) would not necessarily be found next to, or even near, a file name beginning with a lower case "a" (Decimal ASCII Code 97).  File names starting with all the other upper case characters would come before any file names starting with lower case characters, while numerals, then punctuation, come before all else.  I have a feeling that this is what may be throwing you off in trying to figure out how the LK numbers the songs, but are you saying that you have to load songs "blind" - that you have to just enter a NUMBER and then find out, after loading, whether it is the correct song or not - that the keyboard does not show you the file (song) NAME before loading ?  I had access to an LK-280, for a few days, some time ago, but I can not remember how this works.  At the moment, I don't remember having this much trouble with it, and I am wondering if I even tried this.  I have now rewritten this reply a half-dozen times, at least, and finally realized that I was just stating how it works on my CTK and WK boards, which "appear" to play Standard MIDI Files (SMF) directly from the SD Card.  If they DO need to be loaded into temporary internal memory and played from there, that "load" operation is totally transparent to the user.  You just scroll through the list of files on the display and press the START/STOP button when it shows the file (song) name you want, and it just "plays".  I thought the LK's worked similar to this, at least as far as selecting the file (song) that you wanted to "load" into the selected User Song memory slot, but after your post, and after reading the LK-280 manual, I am no longer sure.

Thank you for the quick reply!
Keyboard shows all the names but scrolling up/down takes time. Even if I changed all file names to have upper case characters, numbers assigned are strange.
Song HAPPY_B has number 1 and song HAPPY_B has 40. They differ in size and time of creation. When I have SD card on my PC, I can sort files in many ways but none of them corresponds to the assigned numbers on the keyboard.  Neither date of creation nor date of modification are the keys for assigned numbers.
There must be some system here. I wonder what that system is.

Thanks, Rafal

You DO see the file names, so at least I remembered that part correctly.  When I had my trial unit, I did not work with that feature long enough to notice what you are seeing.  Any way, when you have some time, try a PC sort by date and compare that to how the LK lists the files.  If that does not match, try the same thing by size.  For the life of me, I can not understand why the LK would sort on anything other than file name.  If it sorts by date, there are utilities that can change that, so that you can control the sort order, but if it sorts by size, you are probably stuck.  In my previous reply, I said the new CTK/WK models appear to play files directly from the SD Card, but as I think more about it, that is really not true.  Scrolling from file to file takes forever, like the LK.  I think what they are doing is loading each file into temporary internal memory, replacing the previously displayed file, so that the "scroll" time is actually the "load" time.  Then, when you DO hit the START button, the song starts playing immediately, but at least the keyboard sorts and lists the files by file name.