How to adjust volume of pad samples

Jazzman

How can I diminish or increase the preset volume level of the standard percussive sounds assigned to the pads relative to the other voices?  Some I've the drums triggered by the pads overpower the accompanying rhythm and tones. Specifically P182 EthnicPerc 1 and P184 EthnicPerc 3

5 hours ago, Jazzman said:

How can I diminish or increase the preset volume level of the standard percussive sounds assigned to the pads relative to the other voices?  Some I've the drums triggered by the pads overpower the accompanying rhythm and tones. Specifically P182 EthnicPerc 1 and P184 EthnicPerc 3

Hi there, 

By example:  On the PAD screen, touch sample number 3 (Xiao Luo) of the Ethnic 1 kit. 

On that PAD screen, touch the 'Setting' box, which will take you to the PAD DATA SETTING screen, then touch 'Volume', to select it (it turns red).  

Now twist the Value Knob directly below the screen, to adjust volume setting.  Keep trying the new volume via the rubber PAD until it suits.  Then Press 'Exit' (bottom right of screen) to return to the PAD screen.

Notice the '!' exclamation mark against the Bank Name (top left of the screen).  This reminds you that your new volume setting of PAD 3 is temporary until you save it to a USER Bank. 

also see Saving a User Bank (page 53 of MZ-X' tutorial manual)

cheers, Lobbard

2 hours ago, Silvano Silva said:

Hello!
If I record a wav acoustic guitar groove and arrange for the pads. They exchange tone as I change the chords in the left hand?
I say this for audio samples.
I not have the keyboard but think how much would be cool to grooves ukulele for samba on the pads. :boing:

Sorry to bear bad news on that, Silvano, ;)

but MZ-X's  pad WAV samples don't respond to chord changes unlike MZ-X's MIDI PHRASES on PADS.  You can loop the PAD WAV samples  (with a bit of patience) or change their volume, and that's about all.  Even so, you could record a load of short Uke strums (approx 3 seconds each) and work them into the arrangement?  The MZ-X' pads are velocity sensitive, which is great for creating percussive grooves from short PAD Wav samples.    

regards, Lobbard

11 hours ago, Lobbard said:

Hi there, 

By example:  On the PAD screen, touch sample number 3 (Xiao Luo) of the Ethnic 1 kit. 

On that PAD screen, touch the 'Setting' box, which will take you to the PAD DATA SETTING screen, then touch 'Volume', to select it (it turns red).  

Now twist the Value Knob directly below the screen, to adjust volume setting.  Keep trying the new volume via the rubber PAD until it suits.  Then Press 'Exit' (bottom right of screen) to return to the PAD screen.

Notice the '!' exclamation mark against the Bank Name (top left of the screen).  This reminds you that your new volume setting of PAD 3 is temporary until you save it to a USER Bank. 

also see Saving a User Bank (page 53 of MZ-X' tutorial manual)

cheers, Lobbard

That is where I expected to see a "volume" label. Unfortunately when I get to the "Pad Data Setting" screen there is no "volume" label on screen 1/2 or 2/2. What am I missing?

To further clarify, I am trying to turn down the volume of pad 16 in "Perc Loops EthnicPerc3". It is data phrase P184. I really like the beat but it overpowers everything else. Would be great in "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" from the "Lion King". I'm thinking that only certain types of pre-loaded pad sounds have the ability to adjust volume?  Is ther a work around?

17 hours ago, Jazzman said:

Option 1: Preset percussion phrases like that one uses Port A Channel 10.  Simply adjust channel 10 volume with the mixer. If a rhythm is used at the same time, that might not work well since they share the same channel for drums.  

Option 2: Go to pad setting screen and turn on velocity control.  Tap the pad lightly for lower volume.

Option 3: Lower the recorded velocity of the phrase.  Edit the phrase. Go to pad edit>event edit>setting>note modify setting>velocity modify offset>adjust offset to a negative or plus value for lower or higher volume.  Go back to event edit screen. Enable "select".  Enable "end time".  Use knob 1 to select all notes.  Press "select" again. Press "detail". Press velocity modify.  Write the new phrase. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BradMZ said:

Option 1: Preset percussion phrases like that one uses Port A Channel 10.  Simply adjust channel 10 volume with the mixer. If a rhythm is used at the same time, that might not work well since they share the same channel for drums.  

Option 2: Go to pad setting screen and turn on velocity control.  Tap the pad lightly for lower volume.

Option 3: Lower the recorded velocity of the phrase.  Edit the phrase. Go to pad edit>event edit>setting>note modify setting>velocity modify offset>adjust offset to a negative or plus value for lower or higher volume.  Go back to event edit screen. Enable "select".  Enable "end time".  Use knob 1 to select all notes.  Press "select" again. Press "detail". Press velocity modify.  Write the new phrase. 

Wow! That's an informative response to the OP, and homework for me till Christmas! 

Thank you Lobbard, your option 2 should work for me although the touch to get the right volume it very sensitive!!  Option 1 won't work for me for the reason you stated. Option 3 may be the best choice but I haven't tried it yet.  If I go the option 3 route the negative would be that for future uses of the modified pad sound in other registrations I would be stuck with the change in volume level. 

Maybe Casio will add an individual volume control option on a future system update to make this easier for us. 

1 hour ago, Jazzman said:

Thank you Lobbard, your option 2 should work for me although the touch to get the right volume it very sensitive!!  Option 1 won't work for me for the reason you stated. Option 3 may be the best choice but I haven't tried it yet.  If I go the option 3 route the negative would be that for future uses of the modified pad sound in other registrations I would be stuck with the change in volume level. 

Maybe Casio will add an individual volume control option on a future system update to make this easier for us. 

Hi, Jazzman, it was actually  BradMZ  who posted the 'options' response.  :)  But feel free to award me a 'like' for honesty. 

I tried the 'option 2' also, and found that the pads velocity isn't sensitive enough for that purpose.  Slightly better results if I turned off the Loop repeat, so any accidental loud ones can be re-triggered.  Looks like the Brad's 'option 3' might be the best way.

Don't forget 'option 4'  ... get an oil drum and a pair of bongos?   :banana: