MIDI foot controller for MZ-X500?

Lobbard

I think using an expression pedal directly with the MZ-X500 has some advantages because you can program it to affect two parameters at the same time, with different ranges for each. I don't think you can do that with the FC-200 (haven't checked its manual). OTOH, the FC-200 has ten footswitches vs only one (or two if you don't need an expression pedal) directly into the MZ-X500. Why not use both? :)

PS. Can MZ-X500 users confirm if it has the same apparent problem with the "linearity" of the expression pedal input as the PX-560? If it does that would argue for using something like an FC-200 (discontinued) or a Behringer FCB-1010. 

6 hours ago, AlenK said:

I think using an expression pedal directly with the MZ-X500 has some advantages because you can program it to affect two parameters at the same time, with different ranges for each. I don't think you can do that with the FC-200 (haven't checked its manual). OTOH, the FC-200 has ten footswitches vs only one (or two if you don't need an expression pedal) directly into the MZ-X500. Why not use both? :)

PS. Can MZ-X500 users confirm if it has the same apparent problem with the "linearity" of the expression pedal input as the PX-560? If it does that would argue for using something like an FC-200 (discontinued) or a Behringer FCB-1010. 

Cheers for the reminder: I'd forgotten that the Expression Pedal (pedal 2) can control 2 parameters on the MZ-X500.

Are you saying that I could use my Expression pedal (pedal 2) to play Moderation and Reverb both at once, like just on the upper range? That would be good. 

PS:  Bit dim here, could you please rephrase that PS regards 'linearity" of the expression pedal input?  Thanks

If by moderation you mean modulation, then yes, you can control that along with reverb or with anything else. The possibilities are huge (yuge). See page EN-83 in the MZ-X500/MZ-X300 User's Guide (Tutorial). 

(BTW, moderation is apparently in short supply this year. :P)

Re linearity, see this thread, which explains the issue: 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlenK said:

If by moderation you mean modulation, then yes, you can control that along with reverb or with anything else. The possibilities are huge (yuge). See page EN-83 in the MZ-X500/MZ-X300 User's Guide (Tutorial). 

(BTW, moderation is apparently in short supply this year. :P)

Re linearity, see this thread, which explains the issue: 

Thanks for all that info',  AlenK,  I'll work my way through it anon.  

Traded in an Yamaha FC7 expression pedal (reading advice from Casio's Mike on MZ-X500 Facebook) and got an M-Audio pedal instead.   Seems great to my ears, which are (ahem) not finely tuned enough to detect any problems with 'linear' issues.

Yes, my Freudian slip: for 'Moderation' please read 'Modulation'.    Intend to trying two effects at once via the pedal, but by chance, have now discovered the joy of setting the pitch bend range to 12. Great for synths and twangy guitar. cheers