Chas

8 Keys Not Working

Hi All,

I'm back in the UK getting my gear ready to be shipped over to the USA. Before I pack each item, I check to make sure all was working. Of course, having not played with any of my synths for over a year I wanted to a little bit of time to enjoy them before I packed them up, and that included both my XW's.

My P1 worked fine, so after a while I packed it away. My G1 though, seems to have a fault with the keyboard.

In a nutshell, C3 - G3, including the black keys, are unresponsive. I must confess that it has done this before, and it seemed to be an intermittent fault as either they'd suddenly start working again or would do so as I flipped through the settings and messed around with key ranges and all that. I remember once doing a factory reset that seemed to solve the issue, though I've no idea if that or the menu diving had any effect or not or whether it was a coincidence.

Anyhow, when I got back after being away a year sure enough the G1 was doing the dead keys trick again, then seemed to start working again. It stayed that way until I got my Roland JX-3P back from having its KIWI3P upgrade installed and as can be expected, my attention turned to playing the hell out of that as it completely revamps the Roland and turns it into quite the beast. The G1 was not used for a good few weeks until tonight when I decided to try it out one last time before packing it away for the shippers. However, once again when I switched it on the C3 - G3 are unresponsive. I tried menu diving, resetting key ranges and finally tried two factory resets all to no avail - these particular keys remain dead.

I also hooked it up via MIDI to the JX-3P, and using the G1 to play the JX shows the same issue with the same range of dead keys. When I do it the other way round and use the JX to play the G1 via MIDI, all key ranges are responsive indicating that the G1's sound engine is functioning perfectly and that there is something stopping the G1's C3 - G3 range of keys from working.

Has anyone encountered this issue with the G1 (or P1) before (I tried looking through the forum and can't see where any similar incidences)? Any idea where I should start looking to resolve the problem? I know I can use the G1 fine over MIDI, but I'd still like its keyboard to work properly again :(

Chas

I've probably not been good with my XW-G1 :( My G1 is showing traces of random issue's the same button on the step sequencer lits up by itself 

and even the tap tempo wont go responsive as well octave shift. From octave C1 ,D1 stop responding and somehow bender key is wobbling. 

I've already reset it but still happening.  Quiet sad actually I've started to get the hang of things with it ah well. 

Just a remote guess, since I am familiar with the insides of these plastic key mechanisms I'll give it a try.

The keys on these are assembled and fitted in sections, with thin plastic strips interconnecting specific groups of keys together (these are not fitted as individual keys as are many keyboards). Only 2-3 screws placed vertically and top down hold the keys in place by fastening through these plastic strips. The keys will mechanically sit where positioned without the screws or if the screws become loose-mine were on my XW-P1 when I took it apart the first time. There is a possibility-and I noticed this on mine, that if the screws are loose, the fulcrum pressure on the keys will not be sufficient to make enough contact with the rubber boots underneath-in other words, the back of the key which is it's hinge, may be lifting just enough to create this problem. Since only a specific range of keys are being affected, and consecutively, I suspect this section of the keystrip inside has come loose due to the screws fastening these down in the back part of the key. There is nothing else holding these keys in place except the physical design of the frame surrounding the keys-in other words, any loose-fitting internal strip will not be obvious and may even feel as secure as the other keys.

If you take it apart-I would check all these top-placed screws as all of them will loosen over time. And since this range may be one you tend to play more frequently, this diagnosis would be my best guess.

I would also think a little loctite or some similar thread-locking material in these screws might prevent this from happening again. Might as well if you disassemble it as these will only loosen again with repeated playing. Another observation-the back part of the keys on these XWs is a very thin plastic structure-this is the key's hinge. None of mine have broken-yet-but I look at this as a weak link in this playing mechanism. Just saying! And i think i have some old posts showing the insides of my XW-if I disremember (my own word) if not I'm sure by now there must be some pics somewhere on the web showing the insides of the XWs.

A faulty key group (or every n-th key is dead) is often a bad solder joint in the keyboard matrix. However if factory reset fixed this, then it is likely a software-related problem, which may be caused by power surges, static electricity, EMP (lightnings) or accidental unplugging while powered on.

battery problem?

Does the XW-G1 store user data in SRAM or flash memory? While the latter may make it prone to firmware corruption if implemented unsafely (i.e. no write protected address space), SRAM will freak out when battery runs empty. This may be even a soldered tiny rechargeable lithium button cell hidden on mainboard, that drains over time (possibly many months) when main batteries are not inserted or empty.

E.g. my much older Yamaha MK-100 makes bugs those can be absurdly confusing if you don't know what's going on. That is to say, the MK-100 stores all settings in battery backed up RAM; with no batteries inserted the RAM is backed up by a large electrolytic capacitor for a few days(?). When the cap runs empty, this messes up the data badly and even causes things to subtly malfunction those normally were expected not to be RAM dependant. E.g. sometimes particular preset sounds plays too silent or certain parts of them refuse to be editable, or their LEDs show mess or sustain doesn't work or even the chord volume slide switch refuses to change volume at some positions (e.g. only 2 of the 5 positions have different volume). These flaws can drive you crazy and make you take the entire thing apart for hours to successlessly search for dirty switches etc. etc. and even in the manual I downloaded from Yamaha there is no reset procedure for this keyboard explained to prevent this. (In manuals of later Yamaha PortaSounds with battery backed up RAM stands usually that certain simultaneous button presses reset the thing.)

On 10-1-2017 at 3:49 AM, CYBERYOGI =CO=Windler said:

A
Does the XW-G1 store user data in SRAM or flash memory? While the latter may make it prone to firmware corruption if implemented unsafely (i.e. no write protected address space), SRAM will freak out when battery runs empty. This may be even a soldered tiny rechargeable lithium button cell hidden on mainboard, that drains over time (possibly many months) when main batteries are not inserted or empty.

I do notice how fast the G1 stores samples from sample memory as an ZAL file compared how it does it when its written to memory and to sdcard.

A separate storage for for samples from the looper bank would be more efficient as it saves lots of task handeling time.