PX-360: Good Busking Board?

JohnG

I am looking to trade in a Roland DP that I have for the PX-360 because I like the MIDI Recorder, editable music presets, etc, and it would be a 10 lb decrease in weight.  This is good as I am looking to do some busking/playing outside at a farmers market-type environment with it and put together some nice accompaniment using the rhythms and presets.  I have watched PianoManChuck's videos on these boards so I know how to go without plugging in.  One concern I have is that some of the places I am looking to play don't particularly like when the musicians use loud amps.  However they are much more amenable to a small rig with built in speakers.  That said, the Roland I currently have has 12W +12W speakers on each side, whereas the PX-360 has 8W speakers on each side.  For PX-360 owners - do you think the built-in 8W + 8W is enough amplification for outdoor play?

Hi John and welcome to the Casio Forums. The speakers on the PX-360  are ported up to the player and also out the back toward the audience, so even with a few less watts it will sound louder than a DP with speakers that only direct up to the player. Not sure what Roland you have, but I am guessing the speakers are only "up". to the player. 

That all being said, I would also look at a small speaker for extra reinforcement  for noisy areas. There are several really nice small "Bluetooth" speakers that have a line-in so you can connect a keyboard. Most if not all have a Li-Ion battery that lasts quite a while. These are small enough to sneak out so no one will even notice. :-)  

Just one thing to add about the PX-360 (and the rest of the Privia line): For busking / playing outside the keys are slightly textured so when it's humid and/or fingers get a little sweaty, they won't be slipping all over the keys. It's a really nice feature.

On 10/21/2016 at 0:14 PM, Scott Hamlin said:

Not sure what Roland you have, but I am guessing the speakers are only "up". to the player. 

Actually, the DP I have (Roland FP-50) has speakers that face out the back towards audience.  The speakers are quite powerful.  What it lacks is robust accompaniment.  However, I have been writing my own accompaniment on iPad GarageBand and running it through the stereo input on the FP-50 so I can do "one-man-band" jazz stuff.  Still, the FP-50 is a good 10 pounds heavier than the Casio PX-360.

as an update, I found a local PX-360 at a GC and tested it out after I posted my original message.  There is a definite difference in speaker output...so I would probably need a small stereo amp.  I am probably going to stick with the Roland for now...the combo with the iPad works fine enough for what I need.  Still, I did like parts of the PX-360....maybe in the future.

On 10/22/2016 at 11:48 AM, JohnG said:

Actually, the DP I have (Roland FP-50) has speakers that face out the back towards audience.  The speakers are quite powerful.  What it lacks is robust accompaniment.  However, I have been writing my own accompaniment on iPad GarageBand and running it through the stereo input on the FP-50 so I can do "one-man-band" jazz stuff.  Still, the FP-50 is a good 10 pounds heavier than the Casio PX-360.

as an update, I found a local PX-360 at a GC and tested it out after I posted my original message.  There is a definite difference in speaker output...so I would probably need a small stereo amp.  I am probably going to stick with the Roland for now...the combo with the iPad works fine enough for what I need.  Still, I did like parts of the PX-360....maybe in the future.

Frankly speaking you need to listen somebody playing PX in order to test it.

PX 360 has speakers mounted on the back side. You suppose to get a difference sound by standing at the piano and behind of it.

Probably an audience gets better and louder sound than a performer.