Video Files on Forum ×

Sustain on higher notes.

David M

Hi

I'm new to Casio keyboards and bought a Privia 560m a few days ago. I find when I do arpeggio runs (using the main grand piano sound) the high notes are not sustained with the sustain pedal, although it is pressed fully. The firmware is 1.10. I've experimented with the reverbs and some parameters but they don't seem to effect it. Can anyone suggest a way of altering this? I notice someone else has the same problem with "fall off" but has not received any responses yet.

Many thanks

David

Hm, I haven't compared your video to my 560 very carefully, but on a quick try I think mine is probably about the same, so maybe that's just the way it is.

I believe digital pianos have had poor sustain in the past because it's expensive to store really long samples, and if you try to fake it by looping the end of the sample it sounds noticeably artificial.  I'd hoped falling memory prices would have removed that limitation by now, but maybe not.  The sustain seems longer than on my previous keyboard, a 20-year-old Roland RD-500.

I suspect "that's just the way it is". However, by experimenting with the amplitude envelope of the tone I have managed to marginally improve it. I do think the samples are quite long but the central tone seems to die off far too quick. Probably for most people it's not even noticeable but for me playing solo in hotels I feel it sound a bit unprofessional. I love the physical weight of the instrument and all the various functions but I can't see me putting up with it too long.