Recommend Px 560 External Speakers

ivan

I just brought the Casio PX 560. Amazing keyboard - however the onboard speakers are not quite loud enough for me.

Can you recommened a monitor that would be good for me? This is only for home use so I dont need to be blasting out anything - just want it louder than what it can currently go.

Thanks

I've tried several speakers mostly for the purpose along the lines of what you've described.  In my case I play small venues and require a boost in volume once in awhile.  Sound is the foremost consideration however size and weight are almost as important to me.   I first tried the Roland Cube 30.  Using the Casio 560 factory default EQ it sounded "just ok." A few adjustments were an improvement but I figured I could do better.  I've then tried (and returned) the Roland KC110 and KC60.  These two required too many EQ adjustments to achieve a balanced sound.  Bass seemed "off" no matter what I did.  I even tried Bose Companion speakers (mainly for computers)  and returned those.  I then read (either this site or Facebook) about turning off the onboard speakers when using a powered speaker.  I tried this with the Roland Cube 30 and the sound improvement was dramatic.  It was like the onboard amp was interfering with the sound going to the external one.  There is surprising undistorted volume from the Cube 30 and my three EQ knobs are now at "0" ...all the time.  All this and it's roughly 10" square and weighs 12.6lbs.         

• 1 month later...

Having a decent amount of bass makes a huge difference, even just for piano.  At $500 the Roland cube street ex is twice your desired budget, but it's an amazingly versatile speaker/mixer, though it is optimized for live performance.  As an added bonus you can plug your keyboard into the guitar channel and get some screaming distortion!  

If there's anyway you can find to have some studio monitors for amplification, that'd be killer.  With the right monitors and placement you get close to headphone quality in stunning, perfect stereo.  Don't underestimate the tremendous power of having good quality sound coming back at you, it's a natural motivator to practice, it's worth the effort many many times over!

In that ongoing quest for the perfect sound, I read a lot of good things about the JBL LSR305 speakers.  Keep in mind, my requirements are small footprint and a manageable (12-15 lbs )weight.  I ordered a set of these and found all the positive reviews are actually true.  These speakers are outstanding.  The Roland Cube that I was going to settle for is not even in the same league.  I have been through a lot of speakers and for me they have to past the test of all the PX 560's equalizer settings at 0.  These passed the test immediately.  They are very portable (although I'm going to add a handle) light weight and reasonably priced. I'm even thinking about throwing away the boxes. 

• 3 months later...

Ivan,

Back when I was experimenting, M-Audio AV40 powered monitors worked very well for amplifying keyboards.  When you're sitting at your keyboard, have the speakers angled inwards with the tweeters pointing directly at you and at about ear level (they are near field monitors).  Should be able to find a good set for 100-150 dollars.

They have 4" woofers.  The problem with powered monitors with bigger speakers is that there is too much power - you don't really need more than 10 watts or so per channel for casual home playing.

I always turn off the internal speakers.

I use two Roland CM-30s and and a cheap subwoofer - Rockville APM10C.  (A better woofer would have a mid/hi pass filter outs to the other amps - but it works fine for home use.)

When I take the keyboard out and about I typically only use 1 CM-30 for a monitor (connected from the headphone out on the keyboard.) and connect the regular outs to the venue sound system.

People typically wind up with a complaint about the CM-30 not having a "monitor" out - but you can use its headphone out for that if needed.
(It has outs for connected to another CM-30 to get Stereo sound).

• 1 month later...

Logitech Z-2300.   Designed for home PC, they actually work really well for TVs and keyboards.   Consists of 2 satellite speakers and a subwoofer which really puts out the bass notes.  AND, it plugs into the headphone plug, so you still have your monitor plugs open for use.   The Z-2300 was perhaps the best speakers designed for computers -- they don't make 'em like this anymore.  I own 3 sets and use them in 3 different rooms: for bedroom TV and PC;  for Nord organ in the study; and for Casio 560 in the spare bedroom.  You can still find these occasionally listed on Ebay for about $140 - $180. 

On 25.5.2017 at 4:02 AM, glcanon said:

Logitech Z-2300.   Designed for home PC, they actually work really well for TVs and keyboards.   Consists of 2 satellite speakers and a subwoofer which really puts out the bass notes.  AND, it plugs into the headphone plug, so you still have your monitor plugs open for use.   The Z-2300 was perhaps the best speakers designed for computers -- they don't make 'em like this anymore.  I own 3 sets and use them in 3 different rooms: for bedroom TV and PC;  for Nord organ in the study; and for Casio 560 in the spare bedroom.  You can still find these occasionally listed on Ebay for about $140 - $180. 

I have a similar solution like glcanon. PC speakers with subwoofer linked over line out R/L with suitable cable coupling. the sound is great, combined with built in speakers of PX560 - really enough for the living room.

• 3 months later...
On 22/04/2017 at 11:10 AM, RBrooner said:

I always turn off the internal speakers.

I use two Roland CM-30s and and a cheap subwoofer - Rockville APM10C.  (A better woofer would have a mid/hi pass filter outs to the other amps - but it works fine for home use.)

When I take the keyboard out and about I typically only use 1 CM-30 for a monitor (connected from the headphone out on the keyboard.) and connect the regular outs to the venue sound system.

People typically wind up with a complaint about the CM-30 not having a "monitor" out - but you can use its headphone out for that if needed.
(It has outs for connected to another CM-30 to get Stereo sound).

Hi there! Can you PLEASE tell me how to turn off the onboard speakers?

thanks in advance

Lyn 

• 8 months later...

Concerning studio monitors for any DP, please just try Edifier monitors, this is just an example,

but they all have very high sound quality for the price you pay:

https://www.edifier.com/int/en/speakers/studio-1280t-2.0-powered-bookshelf

I use a pair of the R1280T with my Px-5S and they are amazing for the price. Very clear and true sound, 

just like the sound I get through my Samson SR850 refrence studio headphones.

On 12/17/2016 at 3:40 PM, Francis said:

In that ongoing quest for the perfect sound, I read a lot of good things about the JBL LSR305 speakers.  Keep in mind, my requirements are small footprint and a manageable (12-15 lbs )weight.  I ordered a set of these and found all the positive reviews are actually true.  These speakers are outstanding.  The Roland Cube that I was going to settle for is not even in the same league.  I have been through a lot of speakers and for me they have to past the test of all the PX 560's equalizer settings at 0.  These passed the test immediately.  They are very portable (although I'm going to add a handle) light weight and reasonably priced. I'm even thinking about throwing away the boxes. 

I think that the LSR 305 are unbeatable for the price too.

But I don't like their aesthetics, and they are definitely too big. I ordered the Presonus Eris 4.5 witch are a good bang for the buck. For sure the JBL are better in lower frequencies, but the Eris are not bad at all ;)

Their little weakness : a slight hum is audible when I power them (probably the transformer), but I forget it after a few seconds.