Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 Piano Sound vs. PX160 through output jacks

Mark-Man-7

I would HUGELY appreciate any help I can get with the following issue.  Can anyone please tell me if the main (best) piano voice on the Casio PX560 is better sounding than the main (best) piano voice on the PX160?  I am not speaking of how those respective piano voices sound through the onboard speakers, but rather, how they sound through the output jacks used for recording or PA amplification.  The reason I'm asking is this:  I only became aware of the quality of the Casio line of pianos one week after buying a competitive piano and I'm wondering if I should return the piano I bought and get a Casio.  Please let me explain further my dilemma.  I just went to a store where they have the keyboard I bought sitting on their display floor plus they also have the Casio PX160 and the Casio CGP-700, but they don't have the PX360 or PX560.  So I did the best I could to compare the pianos available for comparison.  I used headphones to listen very carefully to the line-out quality of the three pianos and it seemed to me (1) that the PX160 and CGP-700 sounded virtually identical if not identical.  And (2) I preferred the piano I bought a week ago a bit more than both of the Casios, but I know this is a matter of personal taste.  So here's what's keeping me on my hunt:  I immensely love the display screen on the Casio keyboards, so I'm wondering:  Did I do a fair comparison?  In other words, if I paid the extra money to buy a PX560 (which the store didn't have to try out), would I be getting a significantly better piano sound (through the output ports) than the PX160 or CGP-700 I heard?  I know the PX560 has a lot more features than the PX160.  That's clear to me.  But just in terms of the electronics or internal sound engine, will the best piano voice on the PX560 sound better than the best one on the PX160 or are they really identical?  Thank you so much for your help. :)

The PX-560 offers a few enhancements to the piano sound that aren't on the other two Casio models you mention (string resonance and key-off simulation, IIRC) but I think most people would only hear the difference on certain kinds of music and/or if you knew what to listen for. The PX-160 and GGP-700 actually use different piano engines, so if they sounded virtually identical to you I suspect the PX-560 would too. 

Hi AlenK and BradMZ,

My sincere thanks to both of you for taking the time to answer my inquiry.  I've got a bad back and needed to find a quality piano output sound for recording and/or performing a "cantata" I've nearly finished writing on a major prophetic book of the Old Testament.  Your words of assurance that the PX160 and PX560 have the same piano samples with the 560's primary advantage being the capacity to further shape those samples leaves me largely decided that I'll keep the keyboard I recently bought, namely a Yamaha P115.  Each of us has our own tastes, but I like the Yamaha P115 just a hair better than the Casio PX160 I heard.  I absolutely LOVE the extra editing and visual-aid features that come with the Casio PX560, but I think I'd best go with what sounds the best to me at the present.  Thanks again for your kindness in writing!  All the best, Mark R.

• Like 1