Video Files on Forum ×

New Rhythms at Casio

Rick Stirling

Casio has released 40 new rhythms that are really outstanding. 

Find them here ... 

Oct. 31 '16 Global Rhythms Vol.1
40 Rhythms
GlobalRhythmsVol1.zip (417KB) ver.1.3x -

Although it says "Global" I would characterize them as "Western" ;-)

Here's a list ...

Rhythm Name - Display Name
USA FOLK ROCK USA FolkRock
NOUGHTIES FUNK NoughtieFunk
ROCK ANTHEM Rock Anthem
UP TEMPO JAZZ UpTempoJazz
90's BALLAD 2 90'sBallad 2
REGGAE DANCE Reggae Dance
80's POP ROCK 80's PopRock
80's POP STAR 80's PopStar
POP DISCO Pop Disco
DANCE POP 2 Dance Pop 2
HARD ROCK Hard Rock
BOOGIE BLUES Boogie Blues
COOL JAZZ Cool Jazz
ORCHESTRA BOSSA Orch. Bossa
POP CHA CHA Pop Cha Cha
SALSA DANCE Salsa Dance
POP REGGAE Pop Reggae
SLOW BALLAD 3 SlowBallad 3
16 BEAT BALLAD 2 16Beat Bld 2
FOLK REGGAE Folk Reggae
ACOUSTIC GUITAR 8 BEAT A.Guitar 8Bt
80's SYNTH POP 80'sSynthPop
FUNK SOUL Funk Soul
JAZZ FUNK Jazz Funk
SMOOTH JAZZ Smooth Jazz
80's SUPER ROCK 80sSuperRock
MODERN ROCK Modern Rock
GUITAR 8 BEAT 2 Guitar8Beat2
CHART DANCE Chart Dance
STEADY JAZZ Steady Jazz
BOOGIE BIG BAND Boogie Band
MODERN BIG BAND Mod Big Band
NEW YORK SWING NY Swing
ORCHESTRA SWING 2 Orch.Swing 2
EURO SAMBA PARTY Euro Samba
POP RHUMBA Pop Rhumba
INDIGENOUS DANCE Indig Dance
SYNTH POP EXPANSION SynthPop Exp
FUNK 8 BEAT EXPANSION Funk8BeatExp
POP ROCK EXPANSION Pop Rock Exp

• Like 2

Hmmmm...........more .zpk files. I was just studying posts about how the .zpk files are used with the XW-P1. I wonder................Might melt the XW-P1 down if I try these in it......................aw, what the heck. Never know what might come out! Maybe I'll even try to force-fit them into my old PX575.

Hi Rick,

i am going up to Saigon to look at the Casio PX560 and Casio MZ X500.

Im a 73 year old learner (learning on my daughters Roland RP401R piano) and struggling with the decision between these 2 keyboards.

On one hand I am a bit nervous to drop from 88 keys to only 61 (76 would have been ok) but on the other hand I would like the one man band aspect of the MZ X500. I was disappointed with the demos of the keyboard on YouTube with Ralph Maten as it made the instrument sound focused on disco/hip hop/head banger music - my apologies for showing my age. 

But I see on this site you mention there are new Rythyms being released. I am particularly interested in jazz standards, bossa nova and boogie/blues/ rock n roll E.G. Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis ...... there I go showing my age again.

Any comment you can make on wether these new rythyms will be suitable for me would be much appreciated Rick as I cant find any good demos on YouTube yet.

kind regards,

John 

On 11/10/2016 at 1:46 AM, JohnMak said:

[snip] ...

Any comment you can make on wether these new rythyms will be suitable for me would be much appreciated Rick as I cant find any good demos on YouTube yet.

kind regards,

John 

Eminently suitable John.  I mostly play the jazz standards. The added jazz styles in this offering from Casio have really increased my enjoyment of the X500.

• Like 1

BradMZ. ....... I'm gobsmacked!  Was that you playing Fats? Fantastic!!

I think it was a slight variation on "They Call Me The Fat Man". Excellent Brad.

That is exactly the stuff I want to play (I'm working on Fats' intro to "You Ruined A Good Hearted Man" right at the moment) The piano player in our band used to play that song in our group 50 years ago and i have always wished I could do it - I was the guitar player back in the day.

i was beginning to think I was the last person alive who knew who Fats Domino was.

Love  your style Brad. It gets my foot tappin' .... the memories flooding and the juices flowin. Most enjoyable.

Kind regards,

John

Hi BradMZ, I just went onto YouTube to see if you had posted the whole clip of your "practice session" but I couldn't find it.

There are two really good vids of Fats performing this song on YouTube under "fats domino they call me the fat man" I like the one where he's wearing the white sports jacket. It really captures his amazing personality and joie de vivre. He was seriously cool back in the day.

cheers

John

Thanks John. Glad you enjoyed it. Yes that is me playing and yes I watched all of his YouTube videos to see what he might be playing.  I learn by ear mostly.  I did not record a longer video. I am not a singer, only play piano, so nailing the intro to this song was my only goal.  This was the first piano licks I learned entirely by playing on the MZ-X500.  The MZ's built in audio player helped me. I loaded a recording of Fats playing the intro so I could easily listen to it and compare how I was doing.  When I felt like I nailed it, I hit record on the audio recorder.  That track is what you hear in the video. 

BradMZ. ....... I'm gobsmacked!  Was that you playing Fats? Fantastic!!

I think it was a slight variation on "They Call Me The Fat Man". Excellent Brad.

That is exactly the stuff I want to play (I'm working on Fats' intro to "You Ruined A Good Hearted Man" right at the moment) The piano player in our band used to play that song in our group 50 years ago and i have always wished I could do it - I was the guitar player back in the day.

i was beginning to think I was the last person alive who knew who Fats Domino was.

Love  your style Brad. It gets my foot tappin' .... the memories flooding and the juices flowin. Most enjoyable.

Kind regards,

John

Hi Rick,

Many thank for posting the new styles. They are superb ...... music, not disco noise. I love them.

You will be having fun with them I bet. 

I'm looking forward to see this keyboard in Saigon. Still a little anxious about having only 61 keys (76 and I wouldn't hesitate) but I'll keep an open mind and see what the guy int shop can do with 5 octaves.

kind regards Rick,

John MacMillan

On 11/10/2016 at 3:46 AM, JohnMak said:

Hi Rick,

i am going up to Saigon to look at the Casio PX560 and Casio MZ X500.

Im a 73 year old learner (learning on my daughters Roland RP401R piano) and struggling with the decision between these 2 keyboards.

On one hand I am a bit nervous to drop from 88 keys to only 61 (76 would have been ok) but on the other hand I would like the one man band aspect of the MZ X500. I was disappointed with the demos of the keyboard on YouTube with Ralph Maten as it made the instrument sound focused on disco/hip hop/head banger music - my apologies for showing my age. 

But I see on this site you mention there are new Rythyms being released. I am particularly interested in jazz standards, bossa nova and boogie/blues/ rock n roll E.G. Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis ...... there I go showing my age again.

kind regards,

John 

Hi John,  I had many of the same concerns that you raise but bit the bullet and bought the MZ-X500 about a month ago.  I was searching for an affordable arranger with built in speakers and easy portability.  I have a Roland BK-9 (76 keys) and it came down to the Roland EA-7 or the Casio MZ-X500.  I really like the BK-9 Roland sounds and keybed feel but I have been disappointed in Roland's lack of system upgrades, tutorials and user support so I settled on Casio.  So far I am very happy.  The Casio is much more user friendly, the touch screen adds to usability, and the options with the 16 velocity sensitive pads make it a lot fun to play.  I have only missed the lack of 15 keys in a few songs, I was expecting to have to make a lot of adjustments but that was not the case.  There are plenty of jazz accompaniments, most of the rhythms are quite good and sound natural.  Already Casio is adding to them, something that Roland has never done.  The speakers are very good and adequate for a small venue like typical nursing homes or small rooms.  I find that the keybed could be better as it clicks and clacks a bit but it is very playable and I'm getting used to it.  The other shortcoming is the piano sounds.  They are much improved from the prior Casio pianos but still, in my opinion, lack depth, resonance and sustain as compared to my Roland.  All things considered, I would buy the Casio MZ-X500 again.

36 minutes ago, Jazzman said:

How can I load the new rhythms?  Will they overwrite any of the existing that I have used in registrations already?

Download the ZIP file, unzip to get the ZPK Package file.  Store the ZPK file in the MUSICDAT directory on your USB thumb-drive.  Insert thumb-drive on your X500  and go to MEDIA and select  LOAD then select PACKAGE. You should see your ZPK file. Select it and load. The new styles will be stored in your USER RHYTHM section. They will not overwrite unless you force it by adjusting the 'User Area' parameter.