Video Files on Forum ×

XW-P1 Performance parameters

Jokeyman123

Whew is this deep. There must close to 100 settings that can be set in Performance mode alone-dies anyone know if Mike Martin (or anybody) posted any tutorials on programming the Performance mode settings. I'm being lazy, everything is in the manual. I'm primarily interested in attaching a sequence, an arpeggio and a phrase into the same performance. I suppose I can figure it all out myself, but I repeat, I'm being lazy! The manual isn't completely clear on all this but I'm guessing I would have to attach each of these to a separate zone I've allocated and would need to trigger these with the keys for each zone. Pretty wild! I could have 4 separate compositions going on at the same time. and can I put a different sequence triggered by each zone? Sort of Charles Ives type of stuff, on a Casio keyboard. Yikes!

Johnathon

I think every video Mike Martin has made is on YouTube.  Go there and search on "Casio Mike Martin", and I think you will see everything he has done.  I just don't remember him doing anything, in depth, along the lines you are asking about, but once I sold my XW-P1, I quit followiing what he was doing for them.

100 settings or 100 combinations of them. Talking bout lazy in a sense musically, I'm in a cool down period

concerning music or synthesis at home but still have my on the road gear going which mean the Ipad and 

a mini key's keyboard. Plus I'm seriously looking in overhauling the XW either the cover or the whole package. 

Thanks Ted and XW.  I've studied the sequencer part 1 and 2 videos. Haven't found much about admittedly some of the more complex tasks in performance mode. I'd been debating letting mine go, but every time I start tinkering with it, it gives me renewed interest-but then you probably already have figured out-I do like to twist my musical head in a pretzel!

• 2 weeks later...

Late reply, but I can try to explain what I know about Performances. I'm sure you know a lot of this already so please bear with the parts that seem obvious. I am trying to be complete in my description for other readers. 

You can of course associate a sequence having up to eight patterns, with a Performance. In STEP SEQUENCER (STEP SEQ) mode you can use the eight front buttons to select the different patterns. You can also use the lower twelve keys on the keyboard to transpose a pattern by activating KEY SHIFT. While you are using those keys for that purpose you can't trigger notes from them as you normally would. But you can simply switch KEY SHIFT on _only_  when you need to use those keys for transposing a pattern. At all other times you can keep KEY SHIFT off to use those keys to trigger notes normally. 

Note that you can't play more than one pattern at a time. You also can't play different sequences or patterns in different zones. Sequences and zones are independent and normally use different Parts. The only time they intersect is if you program the Solo1 sequencer track to play the tone in Part/Zone 1 instead of Part 14. The sequencer allows that, of course, because Part/Zone 1 is special; it's the only one that can play a solo-synth, Hex-Layer or drawbar-organ tone. Being that the Solo1 track plays only one note at a time, the solo synth is the natural target if you are going to do this. But there is no rule that says you can't use one of the other kinds of tone.

You can also associate an arpeggio and a phrase to a Performance. The XW-P1 can only have one of each active at any given time (whereas the XW-G1 can play two phrases at the same time and the PX-5S up to four). When you activate each in a zone it simply means the arpeggio or phrase will play the tone programmed for that zone provided you play a key in that zone (or in the case of a phrase, press the PLAY/STOP key when KEY PLAY is off). It doesn't mean you can have different arpeggios or phrases in each zone. (That is precisely what the PX-5S can do, however.) 

While it is true that you can normally have only one phrase going at a time on the P1, there IS a way to play another at the same time using, if you wish, a completely different tone than any of those you have programmed for the four zones. The trick is to use a sequencer pattern to activate a phrase. Rather than describe how here I'll simply direct you to page 54 of The XW-P1 Companion (Rev 2a or Rev 3) where it is all explained in detail. 

I should also mention that by suitable transposition of the tones in each zone you can record a phrase that sounds like it has multiple tracks. You could use such a phrase, say with three tones happening (e.g., zones 2, 3 and 4) to accompany your playing in the remaining zone (e.g., zone 1). That is described in the Companion on page 78. 

Thank you AlenK for this very clear and detailed explanation of the finer points regarding performance capabilities.and limitations. You have completely covered a few questions that spared me some time experimenting with multiple phrases or sequences within a phrase. I will look over your deep and extensive Companion as you suggest. I have not had much spare time to experiment with the performances at this level yet although I have managed to create complete chains which include various sequences with their respective patterns/parts and can create performances easily now. That alone would be enough to keep me happy.  I was intrigued with the possibility of triggering 2-4 phrase simultaneously ala PX5s and you saved me some time knowing this isn't possible. I'm always enjoying pushing the capabilities of any instrument. Happy Thanksgiving and likewise to all my Casio companions here at the forum. May you all always have something to be thankful for.

Jokeyman

" I was intrigued with the possibility of triggering 2-4 phrase simultaneously ala PX5s and you saved me some time knowing this isn't possible"

Well, two are technically possible at one time if one of them is triggered by a pattern. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having used the chain function-as far as I can tell from the manual, the XW must be in "chain" mode to create one, and to play one. Unless there is some strange workaround for this, and if AlenK doesn't know-I doubt there is-(complement AlenK) I have only been able yo play my chained performances from "chain" mode.

• 3 weeks later...

Naw, I meant the chain number. Performance remembers sequence numbers, but not chain nunmers, apparently. On another note, I've been able to trigger a user sample from within a sequencer pattern, but, when I play the pattern in a chain, the sample doesn't fire off. Some limitation I'm not aware of perhaps?