Video Files on Forum ×

XW-PD1 - sync

rpc9943

Hey everyone. I was aware that the XW-PD1 has no midi clock send or receive, such a shame. I do have it set to receive play and stop signals, which is nice, but are there any ways to get some sort of synch going here? It goes off beat with my other sequencing gear, no matter what I try. Are we really stuck with this limitation, or is there any way around it? Such a shame it was not included.

On 11/15/2016 at 6:46 PM, slaq said:

Unfortunately, Midi Clock works only with Casio USB Midi as Midi device on Computer or equivalent.

Hi and welcome to the Casio Forums. Unfortunately, this is not accurate. The XW-PD1 does not send or receive MIDI clock.

It is designed to be a stand-alone or act as the "nerve center" of a set-up and use its internal sequencer to drive everything rather than be a clock source or recipient  and be a "cog". This may or may not be the ideal set-up for some workflows, but it definitely works as intended!  

17 hours ago, Scott Hamlin said:

Hi and welcome to the Casio Forums. Unfortunately, this is not accurate. The XW-PD1 does not send or receive MIDI clock.

It is designed to be a stand-alone or act as the "nerve center" of a set-up and use its internal sequencer to drive everything rather than be a clock source or recipient  and be a "cog". This may or may not be the ideal set-up for some workflows, but it definitely works as intended!  

Hi Scott, unfortunately ;) you're right! Midi Clock will not work. But it receive a start and stop signal via Midi from a software sequencer. But why not a Midi Clock? 

10 minutes ago, slaq said:

Hi Scott, unfortunately ;) you're right! Midi Clock will not work. But it receive a start and stop signal via Midi from a software sequencer. But why not a Midi Clock? 

Not sure why clock was left off. I will say I have had no issues getting to sync by setting the tempo manually to match my other gear. 

1 hour ago, Scott Hamlin said:

Not sure why clock was left off. I will say I have had no issues getting to sync by setting the tempo manually to match my other gear. 

Really? I found that the manually tempo setting so awful...with these tricky knob ;) 

On 11/17/2016 at 2:29 PM, slaq said:

Really? I found that the manually tempo setting so awful...with these tricky knob ;) 

Please elaborate what you mean by "tricky knob" - 

Just to clarify -- What I do is set all my gear to the same tempo and start it on the downbeat and it all syncs up. Modern gear is very good at keeping the tempo, even analog gear!! 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing with one of these for a bit, and IMHO trying to get it to play with anything else is a pig. Not only does it not do midi clock, it doesn't do SPP (Song Position Pointer) either, which means it's all but impossible to intergrate into a midi setup for compositions, (which,as a pattern sequencer with sample play ability, although only 35 odds sample slots, miserly if you ask me,) is essential if it's to be useful. What possessed Casio to leave the Midi ports off this, I cannot imagine. It really is about 5 steps backwards, and has crippled what could have been useful sampleplayer pattern sequencer.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I did not Realize this. I have not tried to integrate it with my Ableton  other gear yet, just playing with it "Stand alone".  This is not mentioned in any of the reviews.  Hrmm Do I return this and get my 99 bucks back. Or keep it and addit to my collection of weird gear of questionable value.   (I'm still thinking "Really No MIDI sync? just start stop?"   /SMH