IPad connection question

Ru32day

Newbie to midi, Casio and pretty much everything about this keyboard except how to play a tune ... looking for advice  :)

I know you can connect WK7600 to an iPad via USB. Has anyone successfully used a Bluetooth dongle for a wireless connection? Or would midi over Bluetooth require special processing within the dongle itself? 

Specifically I'm wondering whether a standard Bluetooth 4.0 dongle would work (ideally) ... or 2nd option the dongle made by the Y brand for its keyboards ... maybe it also works with other brands?

Thanks in in advance for your help. I'm still on the edge between buying this keyboard or a Y brand so don't have one to actually test.

RU32day

Hi and welcome to the Casio Forums. The standard Bluetooth dongles are designed for computers -- All keyboards send/rcv MIDI via USB "B" jacks.. the dongles are all USB A. Any USB A jack you see on a keyboard is "to device", not "host" meaning it is for a flashdrive to load and save data, music, etc.

And as Brad said, the Yamaha MIDI dongle is for 5 pin MIDI jacks. I assume you are looking at a PSR-EW400 or similar priced Yamaha model-- these do not have 5 pin MIDI jack either, so you the MIDI dongle would be useless here. 

You best bet is to get an Apple Camera Connection kit and a standard USB A to B printer cable to connect your keyboard to your ipad. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your helpful responses, Brad and Scott.

I was talking about the UD-BT01 rather than the MD one and you're right Scott, I had been looking at the PSR-EW400 with which that particular USB dongle is supposed to work. From their setup diagram, you use a standard USB B>A cable, into the UD-BT01 which you then plug into a USB power adapter which implies to me that it does "something" special inside (or maybe it's just that USB B sockets don't supply power whereas the others do).

Picked up the WK-7600 today. 

I already have the Camera connection kit and the appropriate USB cable, but I liked the thought of not having more cables to fail/pull out accidentally at critical moments etc, esp if I want to connect to a laptop (which wouldn't be on the keyboard's music stand) rather than an iPad (which would be). 

Mind you, now I really think about it, with the Y solution I'd still be pretty much wired in anyway. Even if it did work, my limited research implies I might be limited to apps that specifically support midi over bluetooth. And with wireless there's always the possibility of some rogue interference or lag.

All in all, I think your advice is sound Scott. Even if the Y dongle did work, I wouldn't get any real advantage from it.

Thanks again for your responses.

Now all I need to do is get past my weird fear of new stuff and open the box :)

• Like 1

Well I've opened the box and flicked the switch and I'm a very happy camper. The organ tones are just so great that I've been lost in them for the last couple of days and haven't thought about connections :) . Even if that was all this keyboard did it would be well worth the price IMO.

• 5 weeks later...