Basic basic stuff

Guitaropractor

I thought I'd try here because I don't really know anything about keyboards....I am a guitar player, but my church bought a Px-5s and I am trying to learn how to work it. I am familiar with banks and parameters because I've used guitar processors in the past, but this thing is so confusing to me. I'd like to have bank 0-0 be the piano and have bank 0-1 be synth strings 1. But I'd like to have another bank be a harp. Every time I change 0-1 to synth strings and go to a diff bank, if I hit strings it's changed to synth strings. So I change it to a harp then go back to 0-1 and hit strings and it's a harp again. What's the point in having different banks if the only option I have within a banks parameters is the same as every other parameter? Like I said I'm a guitar player but every piano player in church is freaked out by this thing. We need diff settings for our praise band and an orchestra. The praise band uses synth strings and the orchestra uses the harp but they are both string tones. And if you go to a number within any bank if you hit the strings button it goes to whatever you changed it to last. I want a harp on one and a strings on the other. This is quite frustrating to try to figure out. I want to be able to hit a button and have the sound I want. If that makes any sense.

Admittedly, the Stage Settings on the PX-5S can be a bit odd to understand at first. I'm not exactly sure what you're doing, but you can put any Stage Setting in any Stage Setting location. If you modify a Stage Setting, you can save it in its location. So if you change the tone of (say zone one of) one Stage Setting from guitar to synth strings, you can save that Stage Setting with that tone. I hope that makes sense.

Before we go on, you can find a lot of info at http://px-5s.com .  Check that out, including some of the videos and FAQs, and see if that helps.

To add to what Joe said, "0-0" and "0-1", the first digit of those is the bank and the second is the stage setting. Each bank has 10 stage settings.  So "0-0" is the first bank of 10, "1-0" is the second, etc, etc.  So your question is really about stage settings rather than banks because....  

Stage settings store entire keyboard setups including tones, slider/knob/wheel/pedal functions, effects settings and more. By changing a tone from strings to harp, you have edited that stage setting.  Edits are not saved to memory until you press the write button.  If you change to another stage setting before pressing write, you will lose any changes you made.  So to solve your issue, simply press write>stage setting and proceed to complete saving it before changing to another stage setting.

Definitely go to the link Joe provided.  It has every bit of information needed to master this keyboard.