Record External Midi Device

ka7712

I am now on track with the sequencer with this helpfull forum!

But I cannot figure out how to record an external midi device with the step sequencer.
I set up an external midi pad via DIN-Midi. I get the sound from the Casio internal drums. But I am not able to record the external trigger with the step sequencer. It works perfect if I just use the XW Keyboard - but this is not what I want. Any Idea?

Some Casio keyboards allow to recording from MIDI to sequencer.

For instance on PX-360 (I assume the same is truth for other devices with similar architecture) to do so need to select MIDI bank A.

You also can easily playback from DAW to keyboard or record on the built-in sequencer (I am talking about Privia not XW).

Let us know whether you will find anything similar on XW.

I've just checked. Here what you can/cannot do.

I have roland fa08 and px 360 side by side. two midi cables in-out , out-in. each one can be a master controller for another one.

I play on fa - midi received on px. However the sequencer ignores all midi input.

Using audio recording mode on px. playing on fa, everything received on px side and recorded as audio.

Now px is a master controller.

Playing on px gets recorded on fa sequencer as midi.

You are right px cannot record an external midi on the sequencer. it receives midi and plays it back. in such configuration px can be used as a sound module for recording an audio on built-in audio recorder.

It is actually informative for myself as well, since I have not payed much attention to the fact which of the keyboards allows to use a sequencer as a recorder from an external MIDI controller.

to k7712:
I never use fa to record from external MIDI source (May be I will start using it now).
I use DAW.
If you want to try DAW you can find free trial version virtually any of them.
There is only one I know which provides free starting edition without any time limitations or restrictions for a vital functionality.
It is StudioOne Prime edition.

Yes, thanks sslyutov. I don't think you should feel bad about making an assumption that turned out not to be true. I do it all the time. :( 

In this case the source of the mistaken assumption is the "Part and MIDI Channel Assignment" diagram in one of the appendices of the PX-360 User's Guide. Despite its apparent complexity (or because of it) it is not unambiguous.

I had the same problem with the Effects Block Diagram on page  E-37 of the XW-P1 User's Guide. It is actually incorrect. I redrew it for the XW-P1 Companion and found it best to turn it into two diagrams that use Casio's own convention for effects diagrams from earlier manuals (that they have thankfully returned to now). Casio's products are for the most part well engineered and always have great bang-for-the-buck but their manuals still need improvement IMO.