Video Files on Forum ×

Organs with modulation effect instead of rotary

Egor

Looks like all the organ sounds are programmed with the modulation effect when using the modulation wheel which makes it all sound wrong and pretty bad. And also, if I want to change the effect to rotary it is not available for the mod wheel. And the Vibrato/Chorus only available if an organ sound is on the Upper 1 only.

So, based on that. Is it possible to globally change the modulation effect for all the organs to rotary or at least Vibrato/Chorus? And also be able to have those effect available even when an organ sound is not only on Upper 1 zone?

Thank you!

If by "it is not available for the mod wheel" you mean that _control_ of the rotary effect is not possible from the mod wheel, that is not true. You can control any of the parameters of the rotary effect that are shown in the list on page EN-35 of the PX-560 User's Guide, up to two at a time. Or, indeed, up to two parameters of _any_ effect if you have chosen another one for a tone. See page EN-76 ("DSP Param 1-16").

Second, Vibrato/Chorus is part of the "Rotary" and "Drive Rotary" DSP effects. It's not selected separately so you get it when either of those has been selected. As you know there is only _one_ DSP effect that gets shared by all of the four keyboard parts (Upper 1, Upper 2, Lower 1, Lower 2), as shown on page A-6. Unfortunately, the manual is less than clear about how that DSP effect is shared between the parts. On page EN-16 it says "When tones with DSP are assigned as both the main tone and the split tone, the effect of one of the tones becomes disabled." It also says on the next page "When tones with DSP are assigned as both the main tone and the layered tone, the effect of one of the tones becomes disabled."

Note that these statements are _not_ saying you can't hear the DSP effect for a tone below the split point of for a tone layered with Upper 1 or Lower 1, only that if a DSP effect is assigned to more than one tone you will only here the DSP effect for one of them. I believe, but am not certain, that Upper 1 has priority, i.e., if you choose a tone for Upper 1 with a DSP effect, that is the DSP effect that you will hear. If you want to hear a DSP effect in a tone selected for, say, Lower 1, you have to ensure you select a tone for Upper 1 that does _not_ use a DSP effect. I don't know the relative priorities of Upper 2 and Lower 2 parts, so I don't know which DSP effect you would hear if you selected tones with DSP effects for, say, Upper 2 and Lower 1 at the same time. 

BTW, the "Rotary" and "Drive Rotary" DSP effects on the the PX-560 (and MZ-X300/X500) are _much_ improved over the rotary DSP effect on the XW-P1. Of course, the downside of the PX-560 is that it lacks the drawbar organ engine; there are only PCM samples of organs. 

• 6 months later...

Ok, thank you for your input, AlenK. But do you know how can I globally change the vibrato to a rotary effect on the modulation wheel for all the organ sounds? Otherwise, the organ sounds are not usable to me. 

Yes, this is the only and the obvious way. But quite often I would select the organ from the different registrations depending which one I use at that moment so I will have to modify all the registrations then.

But, frankly, why would Casio developers program all the organs with that cheezy horrible vibrato effect on the modulation wheel instead of at least rotary or chorus... Weird...n All other keyboards I owned (Roland, Yamaha, Korg) have organs setup with the rotary for the modulation wheel. 

To freeze the modulation wheel, go to the registration screen and turn on the registration filter for controllers. This will freeze all controllers to the current settings. Changing registrations will no longer alter their function.

By default, the modulation wheel is assigned as a modulation controller.  Changing tones does not change what controller message the wheel sends because controller assigments are part of performance setups (registrations), not tones.  

Looks like it is not possible to assign the rotary effect to the modulation wheel. I can not find it there. I can assign a chorus, vibrato, lots of other things the wheel but there is not rotary effect there. Please let me know why it is not there and how to assign rotary to the mod wheel.

Thank you!!

If you are looking for a target called "rotary", there is no such target by that name.  You need to read the section in the manual that lists all of the DSP effects and their parameters.  A set of DSP parameters will be in the target list, not DSP "effects".  You'll be using a dsp parameter. 

Now to backstep, did you follow instructions?  

1. Choose a tone with rotary DSP for Upper 1.

2. From the controller menu, edit the modulation wheel target.

3. Choose the proper DSP parameter as the target.

4. Save the setup as a registration.

If everything is done correctly, you'll see various parameters for the rotary effect in the list of possible targets.  I would use speed but others prefer brake.  It's up to you.  

Note: If a tone with DSP is not selected in upper or lower parts, the target list will show DSP parameters by numbers, not names.  

Ok,  followed instructions.

I didn't know how to know which tones have a rotary DSP (didn't know which ones of those would be) but I played around and chose a Gospel organ and was able to get the modulation wheel to effect the speed of the rotary effect. But not all the organ tones are effected by the wheel if I choose a different organ sound. In fact, for some, the assigned speed target may change to input, or distortion or volume targets based on what organ sound is chosen. 

This is pretty strange what Casio did with the modulation wheel assignment. It doesn't let me to simply apply a rotary speed effect to any organ I select. Instead, it only lets me control a rotary speed if the tone is created with a rotary effect (or DPS tones)

If there's no rotary effect in the tone the modulation wheel renders useless or changes to some different effect that is assigned to that Target number.

Other words the modulation wheel is not a separate controller but a controller that only changes built-in effects of the tone if there any...

And the same applies to Knob controllers...

And so, unless I edit all the organ sounds that have a rotary DPS I can not apply the rotary effect to every organ sound that I may choose. 

In this case, the GSi BURN box I ordered will be really handy if I don't bring my Hammond on the gig and only use my PX560...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stuck here. Trying to assign the mod wheel to change rotary speeds.

I'm choosing 022 Rotary organ for the upper 1 (any advice here on what tones to use for rotary organ?)

Controller, Modulation Edit, then I'm lost - I'm not able to find any rotary parameters. I see them in the manual on page EN-36 but I don't know how to get to that function on the keyboard.

By going to main screen, pushing the tone button, edit, effect, DSP, I see a rotary page with speed, etc. but I can figure out how to alter the parameter. I'm selecting speed, fast for example, scroll wheel or up and down have no effect. And I can't figure out how to assign to the mod wheel. It's all very confusing and poorly set up. Can someone publish a soup to nuts primer on the rotary effect?

Manderson,

Look for the parameter "SPEED" on page 15 of 16.

Controller, Modulation Edit - SPEED

Tweak the min and max values to produce suitable start and end rates.

It's also useful in the DSP -> Rotary setting to tweak the rsie and fall accelarations.

I also thing pointing the MOD wheel at the "LFO Rate" for the "Fooled Organ" HEX-LAYER Tone produces a swirly Rotary speaker effect.

I just got my expression pedal and configuring the pedal to control these DSP's gives me an extra hand to fill out the organ parts.

McDTracy.