Making Registrations I Like (process blog)

So here I am writing another blog post in a forum.  If you're impatient I bolded the main points I'm making. I figure this is the only place to be heard where people might be interested in my process.  I have to admit to being lazy when it comes to utilizing all the capabilities of the wk7600, which has been true of all my music gear- if it's not immediately easy, I rarely make the effort.  I've started making the effort.

Overview: I've got a Nord Stage that I love, the sounds absolutely trounce the wk7600.  In the past 6 months I been really pissed off using the 7600, so hard to find sounds I really like.  I've been wanting to buy the MZ-x500 or the PX-560m, but don't have the money for it.  My uses are mainly for jam sessions that I love attending.  

But, i don't like lugging the Stage around, and oftentimes these jam sessions are outdoors, and with the Stage it's another level of setting up, so these days I've been leaving the Stage parked at home and bring instead the lighter weight and not as precious 7600 to the jams.

Out of necessity I've been re-visiting the 7600, creating new registrations, trying to eek the best sounds possible out of this board.  Et voila!  Tweaking the User Tones (generally editing the sustain, cutoff, fx) and using Layers with Splits has been yielding better results than I've had before, and now I'm re-visiting the user FX.

I find using Splits gives me a better chance to balance the sounds on the board- oftentimes the low end is WAY out of balance compared to the middle and upper end of the keyboard, and tweaking sounds so that they work with either the Split OR with the upper Layers, makes it easier to optimize the sound quality. Often times the high end of a given sound gets screechy and overly loud compared to the low end of the sound, and being that this is not a workstation, there are no ways to adjust the volume balance between the lower notes of a sound relative to the higher notes of a given sound.  A lot of my Splits are Bass sound or beefy Organs, etc., I love working a walking bass, and as a Split sound those sounds can be optimized to cut thru with definition, not just be a wallowing or barely heard ooooomph. 

And the User FX are a good source of inspiration.  I'd forgotten how the 7600 does fx, and once again, the willingness to put in the time and customize the sounds is paying off.  I'm starting by going thru the 100 Preset DSP FX, finding ones I like, and then tweaking them to taste and saving them in the 101-200 User DSP slots.

All in all, it's a big investment of time and patience to make this board satisfying for me, it certainly doesn't ship from the factory that way.  And it must be annoying to my neighbors and roommates to hear me go thru this process, programming sounds is tedious and without headphones to shelter the unwitting participants, is alot of random noise. Oh well!

On a more positive note, I do have to say I've always been surprised at the A1 Piano sound.  It's surprisingly useful.  It sounds better to my ears than the Garageband pianos, the Korg Module pianos, the iPiano from IK multimedia, it actually does a halfway decent job.  Go Casio!