Rhodes sounds distorting PA

Egor

Just did a sound check for the show tonite at the pro venue that does anybody from Earth Wind & Fire to Chicago and Tony Bennet with a powerful pro PA and a pro sound crew. Using three keyboards - two Yamahas and my PX 560. 

The sound from PX 560 comes crapping the mains and my monitors while two other boards sound nice and clean. Looks like the Rhodes patches are the ones that distort the PA naturally being phat and powerful. The sound guys  tried every possible solution and nothing helped so far. They say that the distortion is coming mainly from the left channel/ left Out. And they say the left channel is hotter then the right one both in mains and the monitors. 

Interesting that when I trim the low gain on keyboard the crapping almost disappears... But it is definitely not the house system that handles any kinds of pro band like I mentioned above.

Does anybody have the same problem? Anything wrong with my PX 560? It is a brand new one and this is only a third gig I'm doing on it. Should I need a service or even the replacement?

Any feedback would be really appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Can you play similar Rhodes sounds from the other keyboards you mentioned. We used to like to get a distorted sounds out of the original rhodes pianos-lent itself to it's grungy sound, especially when you spanked the keys. and the original Rhodes had their own huge speakers-handled the lows and midrange that can make mincemeat out of lesser speakers. Keyboards definitely required beefed-up speakers for live playing and if these Casio tones are even close to duplcating the frequency range of the original Rhodes, that might be the problem. I know playing the PX350 Rhodes sounds are more than the built-in speakers can handle-the midrange is the culprit. and the harmonics/frequencies you can't hear are the ones that may be doing the distortion. Try to trim down the mid-range eq, at least for those particular tones, not globally on the PX and see if that helps.

No, those are not a Rhodes growling. This is a an actually a speaker cracking/crapping and as I explained it's caused by a left channel which is even visually in the mixer hotter than the right channel. The signals from the left and right channels are very uneven. And it's not a

bad cable or DI box.We tried all options to make sure to eliminate the possible external causes. 

I also explained that out of rack of keyboards I only had my Casio crapping the whole PA in the theater while all the sound boards dont show any clipping which drove all the sound engineers totally puzzled. And yes, I was able to minimize the issue with trimming the low gain every time I heard the cracking but I can do it constantly/ I had a 13 piece band to run while playing my own charts and watching the singers to lead the band property, I believe it could be simply a mechanical problem with my PX560 or a software bug and this is what I'm asking if somebody had a similar issue.

Thank you guys!

Thank you for the reply Brad.

I dont get clipping from the internal speakers but I hear some distortion for some patches from the speakers facing me. I even have a separate forum thread about it.

So, how do you recommend I go about the possibly defective unit?

Ok, I'm a bit confused on the saving options, I expected I can just dump for example all my registrations on the USB.

But instead I see

Bank01 - AREA 01, Bank01 - AREA 02, Bank01 - AREA 03, Bank01 - AREA 04

Bank02 - AREA 01, Bank02 - AREA 02, Bank02 - AREA 03, Bank02 - AREA 04 etc.

I'm not sure what that is.  I thought there are 24 banks per each registration. But what this above doesn't make any sense to me and there is not much of an explanation in the manual. I would not be happy to go and save and rename one registration at the time. Besides I can't remember what I got in each one unless I open my show book to look up songs each registration is created for

Please help.  Thx!

It may be under each category.  If there are no options for saving all tones, registrations or rhythms, you're PX-560 is not updated to the latest firmware.  Check your version under system settings>information.  Should be V1.10.  Here are the download and instructions for the update.  DO NOT run "initialize all" until you have saved your registrations.  That will delete them.  http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=1263   

If you still have distortion on output after the initialize, you might try returning it for exchange or calling your nearest service center.  Where are you located?  Here are USA numbers by state.  https://www.casio.com/support/musicservicecenters

Yes, my firmware was outdated V.1.0

I now updated it to V.1.10 and was able to save all the registrations but I did not reset the keyboard to factory defaults. Wouldn't it bring back the outdated firmware?

I have 4 gigs tomorrow and on two of them I'm using the PX 560. So, will test how it works and if there are still any distortions and will post the update tomorrow.

Thank you, Brad!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok, I've been dealing with Casio in regards to my clipping sound issue and the repair centre did confirm the issue. But instead of replacing the defective unit Casio Canada decided to repair it. I'm not happy with repairing the unit that was defective right out of the box and I want it to be replaced. 

Any advice on how to go about it instead of repair?

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, I just got a brand new 560 and it does the same thing. Add if I add a lower bass sound for playing basslines with keys, it goes crazy with distortion (relatively speaking of course).

It was an issue on the PX 5s too, although ameliorated somewhat with zero master EQ/Compression - although it cold be said that shouldn't have been necessary!

It is not acceptable really for this distortion on output stages...I would have thought Casio would have learned the lesson from the PX 5s - anyhoo, mine is going back too...might even replace it with a Kurweil or other pro board!