Video Files on Forum ×

Possibilities using midi controller with xw-p1

masterzaffro

Hey guys! I'm wondering if what I want to do is possible. I'd like to hook up my xw-p1 to an external midi controller and have a piano patch on that midi controller while having a split of organ and synth on the xw-p1 (all sound coming from the xw-p1. And if this is possible could I also do layers on top of that (organ and Rhodes left half and synth right half while the external controller is playing piano). This would make live use great. Thanks!

Assuming you really do mean that all sounds are coming from the XW-P1, including the piano sound, then you can do what you want as follows:

You can play any of the XW-P1's sixteen parts using external MIDI input, in this case from your controller. Normally you would reserve the last nine parts (8 to 16) for the XW-P1's internal step sequencer. That leaves you with seven parts for live playing.

In this case you need only one to be externally controlled (with a piano tone, presumably acoustic). You can at the same time also play up to four other tones from the XW-P1's keyboard (although your example only states three). Those four would be parts (zones) 1 to 4. Program them how you want in a Performance (split point, layering, etc.). Set part 5 or 6 to the acoustic piano preset (P0-0 in the PCM Piano category) using the mixer (see pages E-67 and E-68 in the XW-P1 User's Guide). I believe that tone is the default, so you might not have to change anything. Note that you could theoretically use part 7 but any changes to the settings for part 7 in the mixer aren't saved anywhere - they won't survive turning the power off - so I wouldn't advise using it.  

In the Performance editor set the input MIDI channel for your chosen part (5 or 6) to match what your controller is putting out (see Page E-66 in the User's Guide). All of the Performance and mixer settings you make for parts 5 and 6 are stored in your current Performance along with all the settings for parts/zones 1 to 4. Just be sure to save the Performance again if you edit any of those settings. (The manual doesn't mention this or anything much about parts 5, 6 or 7 since they aren't normally accessible from the XW-P1 itself unless you do clever tricks with MIDI cables. :) )  

Note that the solo synth, drawbar organ and Hex Layer engines are mutually exclusive: only one can play at a time in a given Performance and only on part/zone 1. So if you have organ and synth in the same Performance, one of those will have to be chosen from the PCM tones. 

Thanks for you reply. I think I should be able to figure it out from here. I'm thinking of getting a VMK-161 Plus to put right below my XW-P1 and then have a Behringer FCB1010 on the ground as my new rig. I'm hoping the Rhodes and piano sounds will be decent enough for stage use. Should be a bit of work to learn but it'll beat my current set up (Yamaha yc30 with a couple effect pedals and an e-mu xboard 49 on top hooked up to an iPad, volca keys and iconnectmidi4. love it but it's a lot of work to set up, heavy, and has a lot of opportunities for error in set up)

• 4 years later...

Bumping this old topic. I have been editing solo synth tones lately and would really like to have some of these parameters on knobs. So my questions are:

How good is the ipad app for the XW-P1? Does it give you interactive control over envelopes and different filter parameters?

I already have an Akai MIDI-mix. Is there any way to map XW-P1 parameters to it?

• 1 month later...

The app is good - Mike Martin was the driving force behind it - and it does indeed allow interactive control over all envelope and filter parameters of the solo synth. All its parameters, in fact. Nothing appears to be missing. 

I can't answer your Akai question but you might find some of the answers by reading the XW-P1 midi implementation document and Appendix C of my XW-P1 Companion document. AFAIK, the XW-P1 will respond to all of the CC's, NRPN's and RPN's listed in that appendix of the latter document when it receives them from an external source.