Video Files on Forum ×

Using a Preset-Tone Wave in a HexLayer

Geo

HexLayers are a big selling point for Casio and an impressive feature.

I have created a few and have a reasonable understanding of the structure and control features.

Some more information may be helpful.

I wish to use the exact same raw wave in my HexLayers that are used in a preset tones.

Unfortunately, when modifying a preset tone it's not possible to identify the raw wave.

For example, lets say I want to start my HexLayer with the wave used for Preset Tone 1 - Grand Piano Concert.

How do I know what wave(s) to use ?

Is it made from Wave 001 GrPiano1-L and perhaps 002 GrPiano1-R ?

Similarly, for all other Preset Tones.  How do I identify the raw wave ?

Short answer: You can't. At least, not for _certain_. But you already have the right idea. Look for similar names between tones and waves in their respective lists in the PX-560 Appendix document. The rest of what I share below is unverified. I might be right, I might be wrong.

In the case of the acoustic grand piano there are actually four velocity layers. That's the significance of the 1, 2, 3, 4 numbers at the end of the wave names. Each velocity has a left and right version. Already that is eight waves; two more than Hex Layer can handle. Bigger problem: The 560, 360 and 5S (and I believe the new MZ models and most of the other digital piano models) smoothly crossfade or interpolate (or _something_) between the velocity levels. You can't do that in a Hex Layer tone. Velocity switching is pretty much all you'll be able to do there easily (a pseudo-crossfade between two waves is also possible with some difficulty).

Hence, if you use two Hex Layer tones, one for the left waves and another for the right and layer them, you'll at least be able to get  a velocity-switched version of the grand piano.

Many thanks AlenK for your info.

The grand piano's four velocity layers (with interpolation) certainly makes sense from what I've read elsewhere.

I guess these velocity layers may be similar for the AIR Elec.Piano and AIR 60's E.Piano.

They represent Rhodes and Wurly keyboards.

So, what vintage keyboards are the Elec.Piano 1 thru 5; and Digital E.Piano 1 thru 9 ?

As an aside issue I wonder if someone could verify if their PX560 displays the following odd situation.

When I try to edit HexLayer Preset 037 (Hex Pipe Organ) all 6 'waves' display 'GrPiano1-L'.

Yet the 6 audible sounds are definitely organs !

Does my keyboard have a problem, or is it some kind of addressing issue in Casio's software ?

Thanks for the help.