longhorngator

8 character file names - longer would be nice

9 posts in this topic

Just wondering if longer file names are on Casio's roadmap of enhancements for the PX-560.  The limitation of 8 characters for file names pretty much requires a separate list (e.g. spreadsheet) to have a readable reference.

+1

It's quite annoying, not to mention a ridiculous limitation in this day and age. (Oops, I mentioned it. :) )

total agree

On my media card its getting rather hard to distinguish  between various songs which start with the same word.

Come on casio. The keyboard is fantastic in terms of sound but this limitation on the interface really lets it down.

Isn't this due to the fact that the USB device is formatted as FAT? I suppose Casio could implement VFAT or something, but I don't know what that would introduce or if it would take up space they'd rather use for data. 

That may well be the origin of the limitation but given that VFAT is over twenty years old there is little justification for not using it. What is particularly annoying is that the eight-character limitation applies internally as well, even if you never store to a USB device. (Not true - see below.) If Casio didn't want to use VFAT they could have stored the long file name as another data field in the file (the formats of which are proprietary to Casio, after all).

Data storage shouldn't be an issue either. Assuming an increase to, say, 24 characters (and assuming ASCII, which is quite good enough for this application), we're talking less than 12Kbytes of extra memory (Flash) for every 1,000 memory locations (<24Kbytes in total). I can't believe that would make a significant dent in the internal Flash memory resources of these keyboards.   

I stand corrected. So it is the same as the XW-P1/G1 in that regard. I should have checked directly before posting. I have corrected my misleading comments above. What mislead me is the large space allowed for name entry (of tones and whatever else), much larger than 12 characters. On the XW-P1/G1 the space provided for name entry will only fit 12 characters. 

Personally, I find the 12 character limit to be, well, limiting. Most names I have wanted to give tones I created (the vast majority of them so far on the XW-P1/G1) I have had to shorten by omitting letters. That shouldn't be necessary in this day and age. 

Needing to shorten those already shortened names to eight characters for storage on a USB stick or SD card (in the case of the XW-P1/G1) is insult upon injury, so to speak.

longhorngator likes this

So then somehow Casio is using DOS in their memory scheme? You all are apparently old enough to remember the 8-character DOS filename limitation. Add 3 more characters for the filename itself, there you go. How they derived 12 characters is beyond me. But apparently some of the internal databusses must be limited to transferring data through DOS commands or 8-bit?

Speculation, but is it mere coincidence that the XW-P1/G1 and PX-5S that preceded the newer touchscreen models are also restricted to 12-character names, in their cases because that's all that will fit on the LCD display in those models (using the font that Casio chose, which BTW could only be made smaller by compromising the appearance of some characters, as Casio did with some of the other text produced by that display)? If Casio engineers re-used the software routines from those models when writing the code for these newer ones, perhaps no coincidence at all.