PX-150 Retrofit for MIDI-In/Out?

JoeRan

Hi from Caracas, Venezuela

I am new to this forum.  Excellent content here as it helped me to decide and get a Privia PX-150.   More than happy with this digital piano.  Beautiful sound and keyboard response.   My son is now studying with the PX-150 but I will be borrowing it often.

I used to play piano, now keyboard, and have small old fashioned MIDI setup at home.   Would have gone for a PX-350 for its MIDI ports but that model is not available here.   The PX-150 has USB midi but I am looking to insert the Privia piano without depending on my windows computer.

Anyone here knows (or knows somebody who would know) about the internals of the PX-150/350 so I could retrofit the 150 just to add working MIDI ports?  I know electronics but would prefer not to explore the instrument internals without doing some previous research and knowing if the retrofit is possible.   Specially since this must be done with extreme care staying away from the keybed mechanism and sensors.

Any advise would be appreciated

I'm fairly certain unless you get one of the aftermarket midi din to usb "host" boxes such as the Kenton USB host box-it would be very complex creating this interface. I have studied this extensively for using in other non-midi din keyboards and have only found a few possible solutions, all of which require IC boards which must be programmed with midi protocol messages-messages to communicate directly with the midi din standards hardware ICs-and then must be able to be compatible with the specific operating system of the Casio midi messages. Arduino systems are one possibility. Google Arduino midi interface and you will find all the info you need on this. Do not confuse the hardware boxes used to connect iPads or other smartphones to a USB keyboard, such as the "iConnect" interfaces which are not midi "hosts". I have posted somewhere here about only one other midi host box I have found that achieves the results you want-and they are located in Spain, and are not much less expensive than the Kenton box. I think a company called "Ghost" devices also makes a true midi din host box-but this I recall is also pretty expensive-all the true midi host boxes run over 100 US dollars. Frustrating too in that so many of the older consumer keyboards had these, as well as the older CZ series, which all fetch a premium on the used market. I doubt one could "kludge" the circuitry from one of these and hack it into the PX circuitry in a way that would give you more than just a simple one-channel receive/transmit function. There retrofit kits like this for older instruments that pre-dated USB and did not have any midi interface of any kind-I haven't found any current product that does this in a simple way. if anyone else knows anything about this, please post it.

Thanks so much JockeyMan for the advice!!

I was (and still am) hoping that adding some nonsmart circuitry inside the PX would provide me with the midi in-out.  

Yes I saw the expensive Kenton Midi host as reviewed by PianoManChuck in YouTube with a Casio DIN-less keyboard. 

The spanish device turned out to be one by Sevilla Soft.  That is a well designed device.

Maybe I would be making a USB Midi Host in a future... Seems all roads take you to Rome and Arduino and lots of people making MIDI projects 

Thanks Again

Jose