CDP 230R out of tune

dougsuz

Our recently purchased CDP 230R is out of tune with itself. The C is flat, the D is sharp. 

I know you can adjust the pitch for the entire piano, but what, if anything can we do since the piano is out of tune with itself? I thought one of the benefits of a digital piano is that it would always be in tune with itself.

I need to figure out if we should return it and try a different model, or is this just a fluke?

Are those 2 notes in a specific octave, across all octaves of just a few octaves? This is a strange malfunction. and i would also like to hear it. Are the octaves in tune with each other? In other words, are these 2 pitches in tune with the other octave C and D pitches? There will always be some "beating"  between octaves, even with the best acoustic pianos due to harmonics, variations in playing dynamics. I have almost never heard any digital with this kind of note-specific anomaly. Usually, digital keyboards use a "matrix" for scanning key presses and this is divided among groups of  notes although I'm not sure how Casio does this. That is why I'm asking if this is only in one specific octave, or in all other octaves. This would suggest a possible electronic malfunction if it duplicates across more than one octave. Just 2 notes, very odd. Individual key sensors in these Casios and most others have no relation to pitch changes, only to dynamics, speed of keystrike and which sample is being triggered based upon depth and intensity of key strike (with the Casio tri-hammer action anyway). So the keyboard mechanism? I can't think this would be the source of the problem. Please post a musical recording.

OK, so this is a little embarrassing. My daughter is the one with the great ear and she initially thought it was out of tune. But she then told me she is getting over a cold and maybe her hearing was affected, so we used a tuner to check it out. After doing so, it seems to be pretty darn close, especially when we compared it with a higher end piano. 

Thanks for your input and sorry to waste your time. I do appreciate your responses.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a similar question!!

I have a Casio CDP 200 and it goes out of tune WHILE PLAYING. Sounds like it's slowly dying!! It doesn't happen all the time but has happened during professional gigs and transposing, turning it off/on again doesn't work. 

What can I do!? If you need a recording I'll happily send one through!