Midi connection - px560 to PC

Jody

I am considering purchasing a PX560 but could use some help understanding it's midi capabilities and limitations.

Though I've read it is not a Midi Controller,  it see it does have midi in and out ports, and I've read it can be connected to a PC. I assume to use a software package like Sonar or the like, correct????  Sorry for the stupid question, but what functionality would this keyboard be lacking that one, like the PX-5S which IS a midi controller be capable of?

Thanks in advance - as you can tell, I'm a newb

To clarify, the PX-560 can indeed be a midi controller. By comparison to the PX-5S, the 560 has less midi controller features. The PX-5S has more assignable knobs and sliders which can be used to control midi devices.  It also has programmable performance setups that cater to more complex midi setups.  If your needs are more straightforward, the 560 could be everything you need in a midi controller.  It can easily act a controller for software like Sonar thru it's usb midi connection. 

Thanks so much for your reply, BradMZ. Yes, my guess is that my needs are pretty straightforward.

Years ago, I had (still have) a Roland JV-30 that I used with Cakewalk, just as a hobby for fun.  Honestly, I can't even remember what all features I used....I just know it was a blast to play and create with. So now, fast-forward 25 years, I'm looking to get back into it with an upgrade - specifically 88 weighted keys and the PX560 looks like it would be lot of fun.

I'm not looking to control multiple devices, but would I still be able to take a song I've created on the PX560 and edit it on the computer?  It seems like there might be times when the PC's visual representation would be easier to work with than the real time sequencer built into the PX560.  Would the PX-560 allow me to work back and forth like that?  

Yes. You could work with standard midi files.  Those would load into the 560 and the 560 can in turn save songs recorded in it's own midi recorder as standard midi files.  Or you could use Cakewalk as the sequencer and the 560 as the GM sound module and controller for recording.  The internal midi recorder is very easy to use with the touchscreen.  You may find it easy as well. 

That sounds perfect for my needs. Thanks for the clarification - that's exactly what I was hoping to hear,  I think I'm sold! 

One last question: Can you explain to me - obviously in layman's terms - what a keyboard such as the PX-5S can do as a midi controller that the 560 cannot?  I understand more sliders and controlling knobs, but there must be something - some specific tipping point that allows Casio to designate one as a midi controller and the other as not.

sorry so many questions. big learning curve here.

and, Happy New Year!

For your use in Cakewalk, the main advantage I can think of would be those extra knobs and sliders.  But the 560 has a direct expression pedal input where the 5S does not.  

The next major difference, 

The 560 has a 4 "part" keyboard. It can layer two upper sounds and two lower sounds split by a single adjustable split point.  Each part sends midi out thru separate midi channels, 1 thru 4.  

The 5S has a 4 "zone" keyboard. Each zone has completely independent key range hi and low settings for total flexibility in splits, layers and overlapping of sounds. Each zone also has independently programmable midi output channels, routing and bank program output data.  Better for more complex multi-keyboard live performance setups.  

Also note the 5S is not a workstation or arranger. It does not have a midi recorder or rhythms like the 560.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at the 560, but I was hoping to connect it to another keyboard that is way more than completely capable (Korg Pa4x).  However, I was stopped by sources saying that I needed a Px-5s to anything of that sort.  Now this thread is saying I could connect to other 'boards with the 560?  I want to play sounds from the other keyboard on the Px-560.  What about playing Px-560 sounds on the other 'board?  Are both possible?  What if a computer talks to the 'other' board?  Can the MIDI link to the 560 still work?