Keys Getting Very Noisy

Jazzman

After two months or so of play my keys are starting to make annoyingly loud mechanical noises.  Not all keys are the same.  It almost seems like if there were a damping material at the end of travel that it is failing because at the end of travel on the downstroke there is more of a plastic on plastic sound rather than a softened thud.  I am also finding that there is a squeak on some of the keys in addition to the other sound.  The noise is definitely not coming from the speakers but is strictly mechanical in nature.  It is loud enough that it overpowers the softer moments in a performance and is making it unsuitable for public play.  Another symptom is that if i slide off a fully depressed key and let it rise of its own accord some make a rattle type sound when reaching their natural position.  It seems like some damping material has failed on the upstroke as well. These issues are getting progressively worse as I use the board.  Is anyone else having this issue?  What can be done to fix it?  Do I have a lemon?

Can't qualify if this is a common issue with these newer Casios, but I needed to put added felt cushioning strips in my XW-P1 for the same reason and it was new out of the box, and probably has a similar keybed structure to the MX which I believe is non-weighted as is the XW-P1.

If yours is new, I would ask Casio if this can be remedied. It is not an easy DIY project unless you have plenty of experience with keyboard repairs/mods. And you will void any warranty you may have. From my prior experience, yes there are typically 2 felt strips above and below the striking points for the keys although again I have no MX to verify this design but it is fairly typical to all electronic keyboards with variations among manufacturers and clacky keys are certainly not unique to Casios. I recall only needing to put an additional felt strip underneath so the keys would not reverberate the bottom plastic part of the XW-P1 frame. The XW disassembly may be similar to the MX but again I have no experience with that particular model.

I have a few posts around here showing extensive mods I made to my PX350 to solve this clacky problem, although my PX had been a floor model with obvious wear to the felt strips inside. I don't recall if I posted pics of my XW-P1 mods, it's been awhile! Hope you are having some fun with it, aside from these issues, I find the Casios immensely useful and quite comparable or even better than some of the defined "pro" keyboard instruments I play.

Thanks Jokeyman123, it sounds like I have a similar problem to your experience.  In addition i experience squeaking on some of the keys which I don't think replacing the felt would address.  I hope that Casio will step up and make or cover the repair.  Other than the key bed failure it is a fun board to play so I hope it can be remedied.  I play a Roland BK-9 regularly and after three years the keys feel the same as the day I bought it.  I almost bought a Roland E-A7 because the keys seemed to be higher quality but I opted for the MZ-X500 because of the touch screen and velocity sensitive pads.  Hope I don't live to regret my decision.  I will contact Casio and update my post with their response.

1 hour ago, Jazzman said:

Thanks Jokeyman123, it sounds like I have a similar problem to your experience.  In addition i experience squeaking on some of the keys which I don't think replacing the felt would address.  I hope that Casio will step up and make or cover the repair.  Other than the key bed failure it is a fun board to play so I hope it can be remedied.  I play a Roland BK-9 regularly and after three years the keys feel the same as the day I bought it.  I almost bought a Roland E-A7 because the keys seemed to be higher quality but I opted for the MZ-X500 because of the touch screen and velocity sensitive pads.  Hope I don't live to regret my decision.  I will contact Casio and update my post with their response.

Greetings: yes same here: my treasured MZ-X500 (approx 6 months old) is suffering from a same progressive dose of 'clattering keys', about six keys, C's ,F's, E'.   Was great when it brand new.

Just dabbler / home player, whose main reason for buying was the sampling, the 16 velocity PADS, touch screen and big loud speakers with great connections.   Haven't used the keys much, and surely haven't 'hammered' them.  Keys started getting noisy around 3 months ago.   Tried to ignore the clattering keys but realise these problems won't self-mend and probably get worse with use.   Will try to get it addressed anon.

Haven't been playing the MZ-X' keys much due to that very problem.  Still enjoying the PADS and other stuff, though.  Of course, in the long term, nobody would pay much for a keyboard with clattering keys, believing it to have been roughly treated.  

As I recall, there was a bloke on Casio MZ-X500 Facebook group approx 3 months' ago, whose MZ-X' keys became so bad, he had to post a short video *(on YouTube?)  to demonstrate the problem.  I believe that Mr Mike Martin of Casio responded to that posted clip and sorted it the problem very quickly on the man's behalf.

Maybe making a short vid' clip of the problem might be a good start?  

cheers for posting. 

Well this is ominous.  I called Casio phone support at 800.706.2534 and a very nice man said I needed to enter a repair request at their website "ecasiorepair.casio.com".  I went through the required process of setting up an online account and got to a screen that asked me to enter the model number of the product to proceed.  That was the end of the process because I received the message "model not found or cannot be repaired".  I attached a screen shot of this "screen of death".  Perhaps someone here with knowledge of how to reach Casio to get a warranty repair performed on my "clickity clack" keyboard could give me some guidance on what to do next??  I hope that Casio will stand behind their three month old product.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 7.55.10 PM.png

9 hours ago, Jazzman said:

Well this is ominous.  I called Casio phone support at 800.706.2534 and a very nice man said I needed to enter a repair request at their website "ecasiorepair.casio.com".  I went through the required process of setting up an online account and got to a screen that asked me to enter the model number of the product to proceed.  That was the end of the process because I received the message "model not found or cannot be repaired".  I attached a screen shot of this "screen of death".  Perhaps someone here with knowledge of how to reach Casio to get a warranty repair performed on my "clickity clack" keyboard could give me some guidance on what to do next??  I hope that Casio will stand behind their three month old product.

Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 7.55.10 PM.png

Thanks for posting the image.  Likewise, with Casio UK,  (https://support.casio.co.uk/)   the Casio MZ-X500 is not listed on the drop-down list, only the old MZ-2000.  Did not register with the site but opted to report the fault of the clattering keys and gave full contact details.  But page didn't resolve because MZ-X500 is not listed, so couldn't report the problem.  Next stop, the dealer who sold it me, I guess.

I would gladly trade all the juicy OS updates of this flagship MZ-X500 for keys that don't sound like a bag of rattled bones. :-)  

Update:  I was unable to figure out how to contact Casio directly so I went back to the service department of the online source (Sweetwater) where I made the original purchase.  They told me that they repair this model in house and authorized the return for evaluation of repair under warranty with me paying freight one way.  Problem is the repair is likely to take 4-6 weeks plus shipping.  We winter in Florida to escape the cold of the Northeast and this is the only board I have here until I return North in May.  On one had I'm pleased that the repair may be covered under warranty but I am still quite displeased about the premature failure and all the inconvenience that it is causing me.  I don't really have an alternative but to live with it until I get back to my other boards.  I'll be sending it back in May for sure and will post another update upon the results of the repair.  Meanwhile I will be alerting the online community to the possible deficiency of the MZ-X500/300 where ever I can to save others this headache.  When I have the time I will post a youtube video that illustrates the noise.

Casio, if you are listening, do the right thing and solve this issue.  One of the most important elements of a keyboard is quite obviously the keys.  Except for the premature breakdown of the key bed this is a marvelous product.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jazzman said:

Meanwhile I will be alerting the online community to the possible deficiency of the MZ-X500/300 where ever I can to save others this headache.  When I have the time I will post a youtube video that illustrates the noise.

Casio, if you are listening, do the right thing and solve this issue.  One of the most important elements of a keyboard is quite obviously the keys.  Except for the premature breakdown of the key bed this is a marvelous product.

First of all, I'm sorry you've had this issue, and worse for you, you can't get it fixed until you return north. That's too bad and I wish I could help you with it.

However, I don't understand why you think what I have quoted above is necessary. While it does appear that some users have had this problem, others clearly have not. Why should you chase away other potential buyers of this keyboard because of something that might happen, or it might not? With lots of very happy users of this keyboard who seem to be in the majority, it seems like you want to deter new users from buying it until you decide that Casio has fixed the problem.

OTOH, if you were supportive of the few users who do encounter this issue and encourage them to get it fixed under warranty so they don't have to live with it, that would be helpful and cool. It just seems that chasing people away for something that may or may not happen is a bit much. JMO.

Joe, while I appreciate your position as a defender of Casio, if there are such a very small number of owners that are experiencing premature deterioration of the key bed then I would suggest that Casio should do an advanced replacement for the defective units and pay freight for the return of the defective keyboard.  As it is, users cannot even request a repair from Casio (try going to "ecasiorepair.casio.com" and see how far you get), must work through the company that sold the keyboard, pay the freight to return it and wait 4-6 weeks to get it back.  In my case I have used the board for less than 3 months and I have to go through all this??  That is not my definition of excellent support.

I definitely encourage anyone with a failing key bed to get it repaired while under warranty because it will only worsen with time.  It will be interesting to see if others join on this conversation.

In the mean time, out of respect, I will hold off on the youtube video and just click and clack away for the next four months.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2017 at 5:15 PM, Jazzman said:

Jazzman:  (quote): ... " I definitely encourage anyone with a failing key bed to get it repaired while under warranty because it will only worsen with time.  It will be interesting to see if others join on this conversation. .."

My MZ-X500 now en route to Casio service centre, thanks to Casio UK for prompt response.   Will miss my daily fix of MZ-X fun meanwhile, but also glad to see there's no rush of other MZ-X owners here voicing similar 'clattering keys' complaints. :-)  Cheers. 

I have located a local Casio authorized service person and will be taking my board to him for repair.  He has promised me pics of what he finds and I will post them in about two weeks if all goes well.  I'm encouraged that the keyboard can be disassembled for repair.  Since we have not seen others join with similar noise issues perhaps our two keyboards are an exception.

On 19/01/2017 at 8:32 AM, Jazzman said:

I have located a local Casio authorized service person and will be taking my board to him for repair.  He has promised me pics of what he finds and I will post them in about two weeks if all goes well.  I'm encouraged that the keyboard can be disassembled for repair.  Since we have not seen others join with similar noise issues perhaps our two keyboards are an exception.

Hi,  received my MZ-X500 from Casio UK this morning, all done, fixed like new, stripped and lubricated.  Thank-you Casio UK service dept for prompt and helpful service, with good communications throughout. 

Glad to have my MZ-X500 back  :banana:

• Like 2

On 25/01/2017 at 2:22 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

Did they clarify what needed to be done? Just curious since I've had to do quite a bit of this type of mod or repair on my older instruments, Casio and others. Am interested to see if it replicates some of my 'discoveries" in this realm.

Hi, jokeyman123,  yes thanks, MZ-X500 fine now!  :applause: Casio UK service dept enclosed a service sheet, just listed 'greasing and lubrication'.

The Casio service gent phoned me to explain what was done.  Sadly, I'm not very mechanical-minded, so his enthusiastic words fell into stony ground, sorry. :( 

On 1/5/2017 at 5:46 PM, Jazzman said:

After two months or so of play my keys are starting to make annoyingly loud mechanical noises.  Not all keys are the same.  It almost seems like if there were a damping material at the end of travel that it is failing because at the end of travel on the downstroke there is more of a plastic on plastic sound rather than a softened thud.  I am also finding that there is a squeak on some of the keys in addition to the other sound.  The noise is definitely not coming from the speakers but is strictly mechanical in nature.  It is loud enough that it overpowers the softer moments in a performance and is making it unsuitable for public play.  Another symptom is that if i slide off a fully depressed key and let it rise of its own accord some make a rattle type sound when reaching their natural position.  It seems like some damping material has failed on the upstroke as well. These issues are getting progressively worse as I use the board.  Is anyone else having this issue?  What can be done to fix it?  Do I have a lemon?

No Surprise at all.

This is well known issue.

I stopped using keyboard (my Privia is functioning only as a sound bank now)

2 hours ago, BradMZ said:

Take your keyboard to a Casio authorized repair facility and have it serviced.  That is not a normally functioning Privia.  

:) If your reply addressed to  me.
Brand new Privia has much noisier mechanics than Roland (In the same time Privia keys are faster than Roland RD or FA).
There is no service that can change it. 

Casio may put some effort to improve this parameter and build long lasting mechanically silent keyboard.

Just a note. I would think twice before sending working instrument for service.

There are very few service centers.

There is a yelp for the nearst one (nearst for me ;) ) : 

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-time-machine-montrose

• 5 months later...
On 30. 1. 2017 at 3:15 PM, Lobbard said:

Hi, jokeyman123,  yes thanks, MZ-X500 fine now!  :applause: Casio UK service dept enclosed a service sheet, just listed 'greasing and lubrication'.

The Casio service gent phoned me to explain what was done.  Sadly, I'm not very mechanical-minded, so his enthusiastic words fell into stony ground, sorry. :( 

Yes, greasing and lubrication. Here you can see how https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVbwBFCMt28

On 7/18/2017 at 10:00 PM, Casiokid said:

Kris Nicholson seems to stick felt to all his Yamaha and Casio keyboards to dampen noise

Thanks for posting the image.  Is that a self-adhesive strip of felt? Any dismantling of keyboard involved? Thanks

A nice new set of McPherson struts would be good. Maybe a roll cage for those really tough gigs-or a screen cage like in the Good Ole' Boys club in the Blues Brothers movie.  Seriously though-I had put the same type of felt on an older Generalmusic SK76 on the top part-and it did help. I could not do this with the px350 because there was not enough space between the top frame and the keys without altering the action of the keys-if the keys don't have enough "return" on release-this effects its "throw"-its travel length enough to lose its action on the downstroke-it actually removes some of the ability to get a full dynamic range out of the key-I know this from experimenting with different ways to cushion the keys. It presented no change with the SK76 because there was a gap between. But for example on the Equinox I own, the space between is so small, when I tried this method, the keys no longer responded well to velocity when I added the felt between the frame and keytops. and if the key assembly was not sitting just right, the keytops hit the case, loudly. I had to disassemble and  re-adjust the entire top case of the Equinox to solve that problem

2 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

A nice new set of McPherson struts would be good. Maybe a roll cage for those really tough gigs-or a screen cage like in the Good Ole' Boys club in the Blues Brothers movie.  Seriously though-I had put the same type of felt on an older Generalmusic SK76 on the top part-and it did help. I could not do this with the px350 because there was not enough space between the top frame and the keys without altering the action of the keys-if the keys don't have enough "return" on release-this effects its "throw"-its travel length enough to lose its action on the downstroke-it actually removes some of the ability to get a full dynamic range out of the key-I know this from experimenting with different ways to cushion the keys. It presented no change with the SK76 because there was a gap between. But for example on the Equinox I own, the space between is so small, when I tried this method, the keys no longer responded well to velocity when I added the felt between the frame and keytops. and if the key assembly was not sitting just right, the keytops hit the case, loudly. I had to disassemble and  re-adjust the entire top case of the Equinox to solve that problem

Pardon me after reading that, Jokeyman123 while I send out for wet sponges!  Thanks to the good Lord and the remaining term of my two-year Casio MZ-X500 warranty, I'll be excused from trying any of above!  :D  

Dry-Run.png

If all else fails, a good set of earplugs...but then kind of makes it hard to hear what yer playing, unless you play really loud. Or back to my original instrument-2 spoons, 

Still trying to nail Curly's spoon solo in "Disorder in the Court". Will make for a good sample on my next hit CD. Probably get sued if I use it.