WK 7600 sustain pedal settings - strings, organs etc.

Hi everybody,

I am totally new to Casio keyboards, so this may sound as a bit silly question, but I can't find the solution anywhere - how can I adjust the time the sustain pedal holds the tone? Mainly the strings and organs literally never fade, which makes it almost unusable. Why would anyone want to hold the tone forever? It makes the song all blurry.

Can you please help me?

There is no way to adjust how long a sound will sustain.

However, you can use the susteneto option (in the Function menu) to change it from Sustaint to Susteneto. Whatever note you're holding at the moment continues to be held as long as you hold down the pedal, but all other notes after that have no sustain on them.

• 2 weeks later...

In real life, an organ's tones do not "fade" like a piano tone.  They are at a constant level as long as the key is held down and stop abruptly as soon as the key is released.  A music keyboard just emulates that.  The sustain pedal just simulates you holding the key or keys down, so you get the cacaphony that you describe.  For the most part, strings are similar.  Their output is constant as long as the bow is moved across the strings.  Wind instrument output is constant as long as the player blows into it.  None of these devices have outputs that "fade" like a piano tone, and these tones on music keyboards were not intended to be used with the sustain pedal.  The sustain pedal is intended to be used with "hammered" tones (piano, harpsichord, clavi, dulcimer, etc) or "plucked" tones (guitar, harp, etc) that have a natural "fade".  If you really want to use the sustain pedal with other types of tones, then Randelph's suggestion is best, if your keyboard's pedal has the sustain/sostenuto option.

Thanks, I am aware of how those instruments work. I am just shocked, because my Yamaha DGX 305 allows player to play piano + strings under it with no problems at all, plus use the pedal on strings alone, which allows me to create some nicely blended melodies. It is not realistic, but very practical for pianists. I will get use to this, probably.

I can't test this since I don't have that model, but you should be able to go into the function menu>pedal setting...and turn off upper 1 or upper 2, whichever one you don't want the pedal affecting.  You can also create a user strings tone by using the tone editor and adjust release time shorter or longer to taste and save.  Not sure that would help. Unfortunately it looks like the 7600 does not have decay time in the tone editor.  I suspect that is what you are really asking for.  You could try looking for other tones that may be programmed with decay.