Question re Yamaha Styles

moontom

hi....I'm considering this board, really like the sounds and the pad functionality.

I'm wondering how easy it is to convert Yamaha styles to the Casio format, and how closely the converted result resembles the original. I use styles from the S950 and have a bunch that I'd want to port over to the MZ X.....oddly, tho I've seen a Vietnamese video that shows it is possible, there isn't much on this forum about this feature.

thanks in advance for any/all insights.

13 minutes ago, moontom said:

hi....I'm considering this board, really like the sounds and the pad functionality.

I'm wondering how easy it is to convert Yamaha styles to the Casio format, and how closely the converted result resembles the original. I use styles from the S950 and have a bunch that I'd want to port over to the MZ X.....oddly, tho I've seen a Vietnamese video that shows it is possible, there isn't much on this forum about this feature.

thanks in advance for any/all insights.

Very doable. My approach has been to take a target Yammy style and play it as a MIDI file (change the file type from .STY to .MID ) If when played as a MIDI you can hear the style elements play decently, then you can convert that style easily. If you hear things like a piano playing the rhythm channel then you will need more work to convert the style. 

• Like 1

Due to the often complex nature of styles and rhythms, and the sometimes huge variation in sounds between different keyboards, even within the same brand, coverting styles or rhythms from one board to another often requires patience and a sometimes a good bit of tweaking. How much effort needed greatly depends on the style being converted and how complex it is. 

24 minutes ago, Rick Sterling said:

Very doable. My approach has been to take a target Yammy style and play it as a MIDI file (change the file type from .STY to .MID ) If when played as a MIDI you can hear the style elements play decently, then you can convert that style easily. If you hear things like a piano playing the rhythm channel then you will need more work to convert the style. 

That's a good tip, Rick, cheers. 

thanks to all for that. I'm also wondering: does anyone build registrations around say a four-bar sampled drum groove? my read of the manual suggests it's possible to do the following:

sample a few rhythms, assign each to a pad

select upper and lower voices from the panel

designate a rhythm from the internal menu but instead of hitting Play and using it, rely on the sampled rhythms on the pads as the foundation

save the whole thing as a registration.

thanks again!