Music Theory Roundup

sslyutov

Excellent! Thanks Joe. It still amazes me how Coltrane got onto all this. I have even found these  cycle of 3rds progressions in something as arcane as in an arrangement or two used by Vince Guaraldi-most noticeable for creating that distinctive sound in "Skating" where he he briefly uses an ascending chord progression in minor 3rds, very distincitve sound and sets it of from the usual II-V-I or cycle of fifths used so frequently by everybody from Bach to Billy Joel. Glad you sent the lesson-I still study out of the John Mehegan books, it's taken me years to get through even part of these! I am so glad Casio made these pianos at least well enough to be able to play with extended chords/arrangements and feel/sound like I'm playing a reasonable acoustic piano. Or better than some, although I occasionally miss the cigarette burns, stale beer stains, broken keys/out of tune and, we'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...