Video Files on Forum ×

No sound coming out of speakers

Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

Greetings to all,

My AP-650 is now approx. one year old.  This morning, it failed to produce any sound from the speakers.  Yet, it delivers as normal when using headphones (without speakers as intended when phones are in use).
Having read in the past on this forum that some had issues with the headphone jacks, I have always been particularly careful when plugging & unplugging headphones.  The jacks do seem still very sturdy in fact.

Any idea what I should look at to resolve this problem?

Thank you in advance

Thanks Brad  :2thu:.  And thank you for your quick response.

I was aware that the use of the jack cuts off the speaker connection.  And I had already tried to plug/unplug headphones (about 4 to 5 times) but without any results :(

Just came back home tonight and after reading your suggestion, I was going to try plugging/unplugging about 20 times.   I just switched the AP-650 on (forgot to try a note first) and just blew air from my mouth into the jacks.  Low & behold, the speakers worked at the first note that I played...  :banana:

So I'm not sure if it could be dust, the result of a poor connection inside the jack unit or some crazy glitch.  But something tells me that might not be the last time I am confronted to this problem.  I have never moved the unit except for passing the vacuum cleaner.  And as suggested earlier, I have always been very, very careful and gentle when plugging or unplugging the headphones.

I will report sometime later as a follow-up out of simple courtesy for anyone curious.  In the meantime, do not hesitate to suggest anything that might help or secure my use of the speakers.

Until then cheers :cheers:

This was apparent fix was unfortunately short-lived.  The issue is back this morning.  But this time, it is intermittent... well for the short two minutes that I tried it;  the sound came back on but by glitching first on & off and at some point, with somewhat a static sound before/as it switches on.  Also, as one might have experienced with an old pair of headphones, the sound came out intermittently thinner and then fuller (with greater impedance as if two of the four speakers suddenly switched on). 

So here are my newest questions :

1) is the headphone jacks the only place on the unit that can potentially malfunction in such a manner (to the best of your knowledge) ?
2) could it have to do with a faulty connection to the cabinet speakers (probably unlikely as some sound still should come out of the smaller keyboard internal speakers) ?

3) should this problem be related exclusively to the headphone jacks, would it be better advised for me to use a vacuum cleaner to hopefully suck in whatever might have been interfering with the switch contacts OR would it be preferable that I use canned compressed air (as used for computer keyboards) without the risk of damaging anything ?

Many thanks in advance for any educated responses.

Hello Brad and to all curious,

Reporting a week later on my issue.

I finally tried as suggested by Brad the compressed air from a can (after unsuccessfully trying the vacuum cleaner out of misplaced impatience).  The speakers are now working fine without any glitchy sound or partial impedance performance.  I am somewhat wary that this might only be temporary as I believe that everything happens for a reason, but this has been a full week now so, touch wood (knock on wood for my fellow USA friends) .  That is if the cabinet of the AP-650 is genuine wood ;)

Hopefully this will last.  Otherwise, I will be back as a lesser happy camper.  But until then, :cheers:

Again, thank you Brad for your prompt response!

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...