How to set-up 350 as a MIDI keyboard using MIDI in?

• One little trick you'll want to be aware of-the PX350 gave me all kinds of trouble with the midi DIN ports until I discovered one very important detail-you must remove the thumb drive, or at least make sure it is unmounted. If a thumb drive plugged in when you power up, assume it's mounted. I have quite a few posts about this in the PX350 forum here. Apparently a thumb drive, which can be directly accessed through a computer usb connection with a computer while the thumb drive is connected to the PX350, will interfere with direct control from another midi device connected through the midi din ports. I have used the PX350 as a sound module driven by a computer or hardware sequencer and it will respond on all 16 tracks-how it responds to another midi keyboard as far as control change messages (bank, program etc.) for individual tones, a little more complicated, I'll let others weigh in or look up my old posts here about that as I don't recall all of it myself. One problem I remember is that you must look up the midi implementation chart for the PX350 to get the correct bank change messages for each "tone". The PX350 will not select many of the best tones unless you send a bank change for that-the acoustic pianos and every other sound will revert to the GM default sound bank tones unless you do that, either live from your controller keyboard, or from a computer or hardware sequencer. This is important since some of the better sounding "tones" which are programmed with embedded effects settings use different bank change messages than the GM tone bank.  Hope this helps.

• 5 years later...

That I am not sure about. It interfered with the midi din port connections, but I didn't notice if the thumb drive blocked or choked using the back panel USB connection at the same time. Maybe not since (I think) these use the same bus-I'd have to try that again as i don't remember if i had the same problem. I also recall having a problem trying to use both the back panel midi din connections and the back panel usb port at the same time. for example, if I wanted to play a remote connected midi din keyboard ({X350 midi din out) and record my playing in a computer DA i seem to remember that got wonky.