PX 560 Editing

fearless

Still considering a PX 560; currently using a Kurzeil Artis 7. I have read through the manual and have watched Mike Martin's Webinar and am still left with a question regarding editing.

It appears that only the Upper (main tone) can be edited (although I realize that some assignments can be made through other menus such as balance, etc.). Can any of you that have done any editing kindly set me straight? Thanks

You can take any of the preset tones, edit it and store the result in a user memory. You can call up any preset tone or user tone in any of the four zones (Upper 1, Upper 2, Lower 1, Lower 2). 

However, there is a caveat: Only one DSP effect block is allocated to the tones playing in the 16 parts not addressed by the accompaniment system (which gets the other DSP effect block). If any of the tones in those 16 parts calls up a DSP effect, you will hear only the one on Upper 1, assuming it calls up a DSP effect. If the tone in Upper 1 doesn't call up a DSP effect I don't know which one you will hear but hopefully it follows the part number order.

Thank You AlenK. OK, so only one insert/DSP effect for the 4 layers with Upper 1 receiving priority. Any preset tone can be edited and saved, and used in any of the 4 zones, but any insert/DSP effect saved with the tone may not be applied unless it's in Upper 1.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Do preset sounds get edited from upper 1 location only? If so, after they are edited and saved with a new name, can I place the edited sound in upper 2 of a registration?  For example, I may want to change the release on a string patch in upper2 of a registration. I want to edit it and replace it as upper 2 of a given registration.  How is this done?

Edited by chuckiep
typo

The edit "button" in the Tone menu is only on Upper 1. So if want to edit a Tone you have to call it up for Upper 1, edit it and then save it either to the same location if it is a user tone and you just wanted to modify it, or to a new location if it is a preset tone (because you can't overwrite the presets) or because you want a new version of the tone in it's own location (usually with it's own unique name). You can call up any tone, whether preset or user, into any of the four "slots" (Upper1, Upper2, Lower1, Lower2) from the Tone menu or from the Main screen.  

For your example:

1. Hit Menu on right-hand side.

2. Select Tone, select the name shown in Upper 1, select a Tone category along the top and look through the list for that category below. Select the tone you want.

3. Press Exit to return to the Tone menu. Hit the Edit button beside the tone name. Now select Edit in the Tone Edit Menu. 

4. Assuming this is not a Hex layer tone (because there are more menu choices), select Amp (by pressing Enter). Similarly, select Envelope, select Release Time (by pressing the number below it) and use the data wheel to increase or decrease the time until you are happy with it.

5. Hit Exit on the right-hand side three times to bring you back to the Tone Edit menu.

6. Select Write. Select Rename if you want to give the edited tone a different name, enter the name and hit Enter. 

7. Select a User tone number. If you edited a preset the next available user memory should be shown at the top of the list. If, OTOH, you edited a user tone then the location at the top will be the tone's original number with an asterisk beside it to indicate it isn't empty. Select Execute and Yes to save it. (If it wasn't an empty location you just overwrote what was originally there.)

8. Return to the Tone menu. Select the name in Upper 2. Navigate to the tone you just edited and select it.

9. Since you had to call up the original tone in Upper 1 it is still there (or points to the modified tone if it was originally a user tone and you overwrote it). So you will have to reselect what was there originally, assuming you were happy with what was in Upper 1 before you started editing.

10. Save your modified registration. The steps to do that are left as an exercise for the reader (it's described in the User's Guide). You get to use actual hardware buttons for that. :) 

Mind you, I'm mostly going by memory. I hope I didn't forget a few steps. It all sounds much harder than it is. Really, the touchscreen makes everything very easy. If you haven't looked at the User's Guide (it's downloadable) I highly recommend it.

UPDATE: Turns out I did miss a couple of steps. I have edited the description to add them for posterity. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got it fine.  I have been saving registrations successfully but with a minor issue:  I find that for groups of piano registrations, I wish I could keep the same mater EQ settings from one registration to another. Is there a way to disable the registration save of master EQ?