Can the variation and ending buttons be selected via MIDI?

pax-eterna

I am thinking of buying one of these and adding it to my PX-5S. But as it would be on a second tier, accessing the variation buttons while playing left hand basslines and right hand keys could be problematic haha! Although not so much if I am actually playing the MZX by itslef as they are closer.

So the question is, can the variation buttons be controlled via MIDI commands, and if so, can these be assigned to PC messages? (as that is all that is transmitted by the PX-5 Stage Setting buttons.

Alternatively could the variation buttons be contolled by a footswitch (viz Behringer FCB 1010)?

Thanks

You should think about this more.  For one, if you are looking to preprogram an arrangement, that is done on the MZ itself. You can use the midi recorder to program an entire song with intro's, chords, all variations and fill ins to the ending.  If you wanna reach the buttons to do it live on a two tier setup, that's very doable since the accompaniment buttons are on the bottom row.  With 4 variation buttons that double as 4 fill in buttons, I'm not even sure how a pedal control would be helpful. Also, the PX-5S does not have progroammable buttons. So even if it were possible to do midi remote control of this, it's not a good approach in my opinion.  The buttons on the MZX are really the best way.  Or preprogram the arrangement.  

Yeah I hear what you are saying there Brad. But if I want pre-programmed I'll just use BIAB Real Tracks :)

No I am looking for totally live. Now afaik the PX 5S buttons actually transmit a program change message when activated, so if a variaton button on the MZ can accept MIDI in, AND the message can be a PC instead of just a CC, then we are in business.

In regard to manually using the buttons - well you try singing, playing left hand basslines right hand keys and trying to quickly jump your hand up to a second tier 'board to tap the button at exactly the right time...could be problematic. Although it may be that the MZ was really only designed for home use, (viz yamaha PSR series) with no alternate usage envisaged, in which case it would (probably) be the only  'board,ergo -  none of the above matters haha!