Step Sequencer MIDI Data

Hey guys, I have no idea about how one does the MIDI. This isn't my problem at the moment. I have looked on the forums for various reasons and I haven't seen anyone ask this.

Is the XW-P1 capable of controlling a drum machine with it's step sequencer? Most drum machines have that ability I know but, I have seen some that don't and it made me curious.

In addition to sending out a MIDI clock (tempo sync) I'm pretty sure the XW-P1 will also send out MIDI Start and Stop (at least, that's what the MIDI implementation document claims - I have never tried it). I'm sure Brad thought that went without saying. :)

Beyond that, the sequencer can of course send notes out to trigger different instrument sounds for drum machines that support that (e.g., Roland TR-8). The sequencer's four control tracks can send out four streams of data for four different MIDI control change (CC) messages. Some drum machines like the TR-8 can use specific CC messages to change tuning, drum-sound decay times, reverb parameters, etc. 

PS. Note that the XW-P1 midi implementation document doesn't say anything about MIDI Continue. That it would be missing is consistent with the step sequencer's operation; it does not have the ability to pause its playback. You can only start it or stop it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I really appreciate your answers to my question. I'm back and have more questions.

I bought an electribe sampler, I don't need the sequencer on the xw anymore. I would like to use it as a controller and use the solo synth at the same time.

It seems like I could make a performance and assign separate zones to the solo synth and have the other zones control my sampler. I know nothing about using midi and I don't plan on adding a computer into the mix. Is this something that could be done? 

If so, where can I find instructions on how? All I'm finding on YouTube or Google are tutorials on how to connect a controller to a DAW and I'm not using one.

Thanks in advance 😁

Sorry to double post but I tinkered about for a bit and I figured it out and so I shall post it here.

I'm going to use my drum machine in the example because it's the only one I've ever used. Each pad of the Electribe is assigned to a channel, I think that is a pretty basic feature for drum machines. Seems like the maximum channels for most sequencers is gonna be 16.

What I have done is made the Electribe the master, and selected slave mode on the XW P1. But I plugged the midi out from the XW P1 to the Electribe so I can control the oscillators with the XW P1 but use the sequencer in the Electribe.

I created a new performance and split the keys into four zones, it doesn't matter what notes. Because I want to use the solo synth of the XW P1 I will not send midi via zone 1. You do this by pressing edit while in the performance screen and choosing midi edit on the second page.  Go again to the next page in the menu and turn midi out off. Now the solo synth will play and send no midi data.

For the next 3 zones it's only a little different. Go to the next part by pressing the part + button. Make sure midi out is on and do the same for the next two parts. Now you should have 4 zones, one of which is just the solo synth and the other 3 a mix of sounds from the

XW P1 and the Electribe/other drum machine. 

This might be what you want, but you can get rid of the layering in zones 2,3, and 4 by lowering the volume of the respective zone to 0.

Now we haven't left the midi edit menu, but we're going to go to page 1. It has a channel for in and out and gen out for each channel on the XW P1, but we're only dealing with the ext in and ext out for zones 2-4. 

So, while still in the menu, use the part selection buttons to go to zone two. I'm going to assign ext out to channel 1. Now when I play keys in zone 2 I will hear channel one of the Electribe. The method is the same for zones 3 and 4, but they will be set to channels 2 and 3 in my case. 

Any of the parts on the XW P1 can seemingly be used as a midi controller for all sixteen channels, but this is how you can use the zones to emulate multiple synths at your fingertips.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yo, I'm back 😁 I have a strange question.

Would it damage my xwp1 to connect the midi out to the midi in? I know it seems pointless but, I have a reason.

Any of the four zones in performance mode can control any midi channel, and the patches allocated to the step sequencer can be live controlled via midi. This means an external midi controller could be used to play those sounds live, ignoring the sequencer all together.

So does this mean that I could control those sounds, ie. more layers than four, by routing a zone to control one of the 9 tracks dedicated to the step sequencer?

I don't know, I'm a noob and don't want to break my keyboard. Will I break something if I try this?