Video Files on Forum ×

PX-850 - loud buzzing on two keys

Hello, we've had the PX-850 for several years with no issues.  Recently, whenever we hit a high E (two above middle C), as well as E-flat, there's a very loud electric buzzing noise in the left speaker.  It sustains as long as we hold down the key.  It happens in Concert and Modern Mode, but does not happen in Elec Piano mode.  If we press the key very lightly, it does not happen.  I've tried turning off and on the back-up feature in case that was the problem.  I"ve also unplugged the piano and left it off for a while before plugging back in.  Has anyone encountered this?  Any tips?

• 1 month later...

I have not done anything to fix it. It sounds like the wave memory is corrupted. It is to much trouble to send it in for repair. I have just been using the other piano sounds. It looks like this problem is becoming more common, maybe Casio knows the solution.

• 4 months later...
On 2/2/2017 at 11:03 PM, Emily K said:

Hello, we've had the PX-850 for several years with no issues.  Recently, whenever we hit a high E (two above middle C), as well as E-flat, there's a very loud electric buzzing noise in the left speaker.  It sustains as long as we hold down the key.  It happens in Concert and Modern Mode, but does not happen in Elec Piano mode.  If we press the key very lightly, it does not happen.  I've tried turning off and on the back-up feature in case that was the problem.  I"ve also unplugged the piano and left it off for a while before plugging back in.  Has anyone encountered this?  Any tips?

Hi ... I have the same issue.. same keys as you but the distorted sound sounds different than the one offered here. Did you ever fix it?

• 3 months later...

Phew, tough one but I'll try. A few possibilities without diagnosing it in front of me. 1) Could be a dirty or damaged touch sensor under those particular keys-will be hard to cleanor repair without taking apart keyboard-you could try some compressed air between and under the keys-such as used for computer dust cleaning. don't put anything else in there! 2) possible loose or poor connection to the one speaker, or a defect in the speaker itself which strangely enough could show up with this very narrow range of pitches-it is possible. Or could even be a loose screw or something loose inside that will resonate only at those frequencies-can happen, I've experienced that with electronics repair of musical instruments and since it happens at louder dynamics that is possible. Again, without disassembly, would be almost impossible to troubleshoot. i don't think it is software-based (sample errors in software) as this would affect a larger range of notes. if under warranty, would definitely return it as this kind of defect to me would be unacceptable. if I buy a piano, I expect all keys to work flawlessly since I will be playing music that uses all of them! I know of no-one that composes music and deliberately leaves out a few notes in case the instruments don't work! :banghead::banghead:

On 4/2/2017 at 8:11 PM, px850user said:

Does it sound like this?

011110_0018.wav

If it is the same noise as this, return the unit to the retailer for exchange.  If you are no longer within the retailer exchange window, send the unit to a Casio authorized service center for warranty repair.  USA service center contact info is here.. https://www.casio.com/support/musicservicecenters

If the unit is no longer covered under any warranty, you should still contact a Casio service center for help.  They may offer assistance.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi , I have the same issue with my PX 780 .( only on piano mode - not on other instruments) .  I sent it to my local dealer for repair ( I was out of warranty ) and they suggested it electronics ( probably main PCB ) related  and repair price will be almost similar to a price of a new piano . I find it outrageous that after only a few years of usage I need to throw away my piano . Has anyone of this thread actually managed to know what was the route cause of this problem ? 

• 6 months later...

I thought I had fixed the popping sound problem on my Casio Privia PX-850. I haven't. Last night, I had my ear phones on and I was nearly deafened by the sound. I am not tecko enough to record the sound. But the attached  YouTube is identical to what is happening with my Digital piano just with two different notes as seems to be the story from everyone with this problem.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lSEspHauEo . As this video demonstrates it is not the actual keys as when you do an octave shift those keys are fine. It appears to be the notes themselves and some problem with those notes being synthesized. For Casio experts: Is there a processor or a patch for the PX 850 that I can buy to fix this. This DP is way out of warranty.  Please help. 

• 7 months later...

I have a PX-780M and I have the same issue with one of my lower C and adjacent C# keys. When I press the key softly, it produces a loud buzzing sound, but when I press the key loudly enough, there is no buzzing. While I haven’t been able to actually fix the root mechanical/electric issue, I messed around with the different sounds to bypass the problem. The problem on my piano seems to only occur in the various Grand Piano sound settings (Concert, Studio, Classic). So I simply switch it to the Rock Piano setting each time I turn on the piano and voilà, no buzzing! I know, I know, this should be unacceptable for such an expensive electric piano, but my piano is out of warranty and I’m not holding my breath for Casio to rectify the issue. And except for that one key, I still love my piano 😭. Tbh I seriously can’t tell the difference between the grand piano and the rock piano anyway 🤷🏽‍♂️. Sorry I’m about 4 years late lol but hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Hi Gang, I had the buzzing issue with two keys. It would go away by selecting a different instrument, but always be there with my piano types. I did a factory reset and the buzz is no longer there with those keys. At least for today so far. To do the factory reset on mine, I turn power off, hold funtion button along with E-Piano button, and hold those while pressing power button once to turn it on. I continue to hold the function and EPiano button until the unit runs through the LED cycling sequence it does when powering on. I then let go.  After doing that, buzz was gone.

Hope it works for you.