WK-500 sustain stuck

scotto

Hi, folks.  My first post is a problem I'm having with my keyboard (typical, right?)

It's a Casio WK-500.  I've had it for 5 years or more and never had an issue.  I turned it on the other day, keyed a chord and it sounded like the sustain pedal is continuously pressed (which it wasn't).  It's very noticeable if I change the tone to something other than piano such as strings, organ, etc.  Pressing the pedal has no impact.  I unplugged the peal and still the same issue.  The only way to make the sustain stop is to go into the settings and change the pedal setting to something other than sustain.  After that the pedal has no impact at all.  I've tested the pedal in a different keyboard and it works.

Any ideas?  

I did get a response from Casio (kind of surprised that I did actually hear from them) but they asked me the old "did you try turning it off and back on again."  (Which btw doesn't work.)

Thanks for any help,

Scott

When you assign the pedal jack to something other than sustain, do you then get that other effect continuously, even without the pedal being plugged in ?  If so, that would indicate that there is some kind of physical electric "short" inside the pedal jack.  If not, then something is causing a logic problem with the sustain function.  Normally, you would check this by performing a factory reset or initialize, but some Casio keyboards (including the WK-500) do this when you power off/on.  That's why Casio Support asked you if you had done that.

Thanks for your reply, tnicoson.  When I assign the pedal jack to something other than sustain, the sustain effect stops and the pedal does nothing.  If I then change it back to sustain then the pedal has no effect/impact on sound.

scotto

Still suspecting that your WK-500's Sustain jack has an internal electrical short, making it appear that the pedal is permanently pressed, I realized that I should be able to mimic its symptoms on my WK-3800 by just holding the pedal down.  Knowing that many Yamaha arranger keyboards get very confused about the pedal, if they are powered up with the pedal depressed. I tried that on the WK-3800, but it came up and behaved completely normal.  So, that situation does not affect Casio boards the way it does Yamaha boards.  I then selected a tone, pressed the pedal and pressed a key.  The tone was sustained, as expected.  Then with the pedal still depressed and the original note still being sustained, I changed tones.  There was a momentary glitch in the original note, but it continued to be sustained with the original tone.  When I repressed the key, the original tone was truncated and the note was now sustained with the new tone,  This is not the behavior you are getting with your WK-500, and has convinced me that your problem is most likely NOT an electrical short in the Sustain jack.  So, I now suspect that you could have a bad circuit board ribbon cable connection or possibly a defective chip on one of the circuit boards.  I wish I could be of more help, but that is about the best I can think of, for now.

Good luck !

Regards.

Ted

Thanks, Ted.  I think you might be right about  bad circuit board ribbon cable / defective chip.  I took a last try at it last night after reading your post.  The only thing different I saw (just didn't notice this before) was the sustain symbol was lit on the screen when I turned on the keyboard (with or without the pedal plugged in.)  It does go out after I change the pedal setting and doesn't come back on no matter what I change.  This would seem to support your bad/defective theory.

Oh, well.  It's probably not worth fixing (I don't know how to fix it myself) so I've ordered another Casio -- the WK-7600 this time. 

I appreciate your help, Ted.

scotto

• 5 months later...