XW-P1 vs MZ-X500

Egor

Is the MZ X500 a successor to XW-P1? Can it do/does it have the same features as XW-P1 or is it somewhat a different instrument?s, piano samples, new touch screen. But is there something it doesn't have that XW-P1 has? For example, does the MZ -X500 have the phat synth like the XWP1?

XW-P1 vs MZ-X500 would be great. Unless there is a dedicated comparison page on Casio somewhere?

Oh, and I'm not really interested in the arranging functions on both of these boards.

Thank you!

It's not really a successor. What doesn't it have that is in the XW models? It doesn't have the XW's solo synthesizer but it does have a monophonic mode for its Hex Layer engine that in its own way is just as useful (although I'm not aware of many audio examples of the latter). The MZ-X500 also doesn't have the XW's step sequencer but instead has a full blown 17-track linear sequencer.

Almost everything on the X500 that is also on the XW-P1 has been done better on the X500. For example, the X500's Hex Layer engine is far superior to that in the XW-P1. Similarly the X500's drawbar organ engine is evidently much better, at least when you use the associated rotary speaker effect (although again not many audio examples to go by). The PCM tones and waves in the X500 are on the whole MUCH better than those in the XW models (including and especially the acoustic piano). 

The X500 is certainly capable as a synthesizer but it is also a fully functional workstation as well as an arranger. It's a lot of bang for the buck but it IS twice the price of the XW-P1. They shouldn't be directly compared. 

Thank you AlenK. 

So, it does look like in the way the X500 IS a successor to XWP1. Or, I'd say indirect successor?.. As it can do everything XW-P1 can but much better? And yes the price is almost triple. 

Pads are I can care less about as I don't do any sequencing. The touch screen is the same as PX560 that I own. All I care is good sounds, simplicity/easy (on the fly) to use in a live situation.

I am looking to buy XP P1 but was wondering if Casio made any updated models of it and came across the X500. 

So, now I'm bit undecided as of what to go for...

I'm using my boards for a live playing. I got PX 560, Yamaha MX 49, Hammond SK2 and Yamaha CS as a phat little synth. I want to replace my MX49 with Casio. MX49 has a great sounds from Motif and I created and saved some songs performances for the live gigs and I also manually call string, organs (when i don't bring my Hammond SK2), vibes, some layers, etc. . But MX49 has a horrible NOT friendly user interface and features (Yamaha guys, are you reading this?..) and is a pain to use for the live gigs even that I know it very well by now. 

So, i was considering XW-P1 as i loved the intreface and how easy it is to use after I played around with it in the store. And I love the space they made on the right of the board to place anyting from iPhone or iPad to Ventilator or a lilttle mixer...

But after a lillte research i stumbled with X500. XW-P1 is now on a special deal fro $599 CAD. But the X500 looks like a newer model. I do like that Synth mode on XW-P1 though and the price :) And I do not need all that sequencer stuff the X500 has... So, Im a bit undecuded now what to get...  Theres is also X300..

MZX300 will forego the hex layer mojo found on the 500.  It also has half of the sample expansion memory of the 500.  And then there is reduction in number of pads for triggering samples or phrases.

I can't really decide for you. Sonically, I would go for the MZX500 because of it's sample expansion memory.  The monophonic solo synth on the XW is cool.  If you really need some angry synth sounds the XW is a good choice. The MZX-500 is good for smooth and rich synthy stuff.  But it also has some XW synth tones in it.  So it's a tough choice. The MZ-X is heavier than the XW because of the 40 watt internal sound system.   And then there is polyphony.  MZX 128...XW 64.  You won't run out on either board. That just means they gave you more layering ability on the MZX.  Then there is the midi controller aspect, XW has the advantage there with flexible performance setups.  

Special deal? That number appears to be the everyday price (in CAD). There's nothing special about it. It's lower than list but I don't think anyone (at least in North America) has ever payed list for an XW-P1. I can't tell you directly what I paid for mine back in 2013 (as per the rules of the forum) but I will say it was almost precisely a "beastly" fraction of that number in CAD (think religious numerology!). 

If you really want an XW-P1 I'd look for a used one in good condition. Assuming you are in Canada (you specified CAD) there are two of them right now on kijiji. 

I sure think you should get the MZ-X500
Especially for sample expansion.
Everything in MZ has been improved since Drawbar, hexa layer, Pad Loops.
You can even pick up some samples of your hammond on the MZ for a support base.
Since you will not need MIDI.
And yet you have the arranger feature that can serve as inspiration for an individual playing.

As I mentioned before, I don't do any auto comp things/gigs and I don't use sampling and I would not need the internal speakers (not sure what would I use those for besides some homework). So, providing I will not use those features is it worth it to pay almost 3 times price of XW P1?

And would I be maybe better off with X300? What is the biggest difference between 300 and 500? Besides 200 fewer sounds and fewer pads. What sounds are missing from X500 and are they really that important?

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/7/2017 at 3:29 AM, Egor said:

But MX49 has a horrible NOT friendly user interface and features (Yamaha guys, are you reading this?..) and is a pain to use for the live gigs even that I know it very well by now. 

What are examples of kinds of things you'd like to do live, that you find difficult to do on the MX49?

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I'm 36 years old french man (sorry for my bad english) and I begin to play music at 16 years old with a roland E14 (!), but i don't play during 15 years...

I'have buyed next a yamaha PSR s650. Wonderfull vs my e14 !

I have buyed a mz-x500 in 2017, wonderfull machine,  the synth sounds are magicals.

I have seen a XW-P1 at 250€ (~250$). Is a bad choise to buy this if a had a mz-x500 ?

I have seen that it has four knobs to modify the sounds in real time, it look like a real synth (not a arranger / synth like the mz-x500). I like to modify sound.

I know that we can modify sound with the mx, but with the xw-p1 is it more conenient ?)

Or do you think it's ridiculus to buy this ? (Less good that the mz-x500)

Thanks

I am biased but I think the XW-P1's two particular strengths - the solo synth and the step sequencer - would make it a decent complement to an MZ-X500, assuming you want to do the kind of music that would make use of those two things. What you quote is a decent price for an XW-P1 even today (assuming new).

Regarding real-time modification of sounds it's nice to have the four knobs and they work in real time on the solo synth (some things like filter cutoff don't change on Hex Layer and PCM sounds until you hit new notes). But you have two knobs on the MZ-X500 usable for that (three in total), so it's not a huge increase. They both have the nine sliders, which can modify levels of the six components of a Hex Layer tone on both instruments, among other things. On the XW-P1 they can also modify the levels of the solo-synth oscillators in real time.