Mapping tones to MIDI channels for playback?

longhorngator

I have Ableton Live configured to send MIDI to my PX-560 for playback.  However, I can't figure out where in the PX-560 is the mapping between what tones are assigned to what MIDI channel.  For example, when Ableton sends MIDI to channel 1, the PX-560 plays Grand Piano.  Channel 2 plays percussion.  Channel 3 plays Warm Pad.  I've looked at the "MIDI Channel Assignments" table at the end of the User Manual but I'm not seeing the answer.  What am I missing?

BradMZ - Thanks.  That got me part of the way there. When I set the "Casio > Menu > MIDI > MIDI In Port" to "A", I can send MIDI from Ableton Live on channels 1 - 4 and it generates the 560's tones (Upper 1 = ch 1, Upper 2 = ch 2, Lower 1 = ch 3, Lower 2 = ch 4). Whatever tone is currently selected for the Upper and Lower parts is played.  In addition, if I send MIDI from Ableton Live on ch 8, it triggers the 560's tones from what seems to be the drums Standard Set 1. I'm not clear on why that is since page A-5 of the manual indicates that Port A Channel 8 is Metronome.

When I select Ports B or C on the 560, the tones generated are different than what is currently selected for Upper and Lower.  Page A-5 of the manual simply says "MIDI Recorder System Track [Upper1/2, Lower1/2]" for Port B, and "MIDI Recorder Track [1-4]" for Port C.  I see no indication of which tone will be generated.  Further, when I enable MIDI recording on the 560, and send MIDI from Ableton Live, I hear the tones generated on the 560 but nothing gets recorded.

Any further hints on:

1. How tones are selected when using Ports B or C?
  2. How to record MIDI on the 560 that is sent from Ableton Live?

Thanks,

Darin

The midi recorder cannot record data from external midi sources.  It can however import standard midi files via usb thumb drive.  

Selecting tones is typically done over midi using bank and program changes. The appendix tone charts will list the necessary data. Alternatively, the 560 mixer can be used to select tones for all 48 channels.