CDP 230R Strange bell sounds in several keys

Jairo

I recently bought a second hand CDP-230R and found something does not sound right: There is a rare aka-bell sound that sounds only on three keys in piano tones. The problem indeed occurs with several tones, actually it happens almost in all Piano-related tones. I did an extensive research and found something really weird: The issue is not consistent, it means the rare bell sounds changes between close-by keys when the tone changes but without a pattern. Let me explain with some examples:

With tone 001, The rare bell sounds occur in Ab, A and Bb (as I mentioned before, close to the middle C)

With tone 006, The rare bell sounds occur in G, Ab and A

With tone 007, The rare bell sounds occur in B, Bb and C

If I use the transpose function, the bell sound moves up and down, but if I use the pitch bend weel it does not move.

I already restored to factory settings but the same.

I contacted Casio Support and told me: "This is a natural part of the sound, originating from the piano that was sampled to create the sound. Therefore, it would be reproduced the same way on all CDP-230R units.".."What you are hearing are some subtle harmonic overtones, which were present in the original piano that was sampled to create the tones. They are a normal part of the sample, so there is no need for concern."

The question for the forum are: Have you ear the same issue in your CDP-230R?

The issue in my piano is affecting my performance because the sub-harmonics make a big distortion playing alone.

Is there a way to re-map piano sounds?

I upload a recorded video sample to illustrate this issue.

Thanks a lot

001 Ab-A-Bb.mp4

Thank BradMZ. As you said: 

Playing the keys harder will create a brighter sound

but it makes the sound even uglier. When I play chords it hits my ear with that aka-bell sound and it is not good at all. I expected a professional Casio product, a professional weighted keyboard with SAMPLED piano sound, which means very high technology for keyboard sounds. So, that weird bell harmonics are not good.

I would like to hear opinion from other CDP-230R owners

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you can try 2 things. 

1. Use a high quality earphones to listen to piano sounds. See if you get the harmonics. If it persists then it's okay And your keyboard speakers are also working well. 

2. connect your CDP 230 to PC and run some midi app like FLStudio or Garageband. Try playing grand piano or stage grand from the app and route the sounds to your keyboard speakers and then to the high quality earphones. 

This way you will get a fair idea of your keyboard sound and the original piano sound. 

BTW in my case the piano sound from earphones is excellent, far better than onboard speaker.