Video Files on Forum ×

pedal control to toggle rotary slow to fast

chuckiep

Yes. And the setting for it needs to be stored as a registration. Choose an organ tone that uses rotary dsp. Go into the controller menu and edit the desired pedal target to address the dsp parameter for speed fast slow.  You'll see it in the list.  Double check the pedal is enabled for the upper or lower part being used.  Save it as a registration.

In Controller mode, I was under the impression that it  allows changes to every controller except  the damper pedal. AM I missing something?  When I go to pedal type, I see two choices:  expression type and foot switch type. Is foot switch the name for damper pedal input?  If so,  what is the target name for enabling rotary on and off? I don't see from the 16 pages of choices under target,  one named "rotary on and off"   My goal is to have the damper pedal serve two roles at the same time;, sustain and rotary toggle on off.

Thanks

The second pedal input can either be expression pedal or switch type sustain pedal.  That's what that setting chooses, the type of pedal plugged into the second jack.  I don't have access to a 560 to walk you thru the details but there will be a rotary effect dsp parameter in the target list for controlling speed.  The key is that you have to be using a tone that has a rotary DSP effect in use. Use upper 1. Otherwise the target list won't show dsp parameters. 

Don't try to use the same pedal for sustain and rotary.  Use pedal 2 input for rotary and pedal 1 for sustain. Not even sure how that would work if it was possible or how it would be useful.

• Like 1

Several Nord keyboards allow the damper pedal to serve two purposes. When playing a piano patch it works for sustain. When using an organ patch, it serves as a toggle switch to go back back and forth between slow and fast rotary effect.  Each time you push the sustain pedal down and release, you alternate between fast and slow.  Speed remains the same until you press the sustain pedal and release again. So the pedal works like a two position toggle switch (slow and fast) 

The controller assignments on the PX-560 are not global settings or based on the tone in use. It's based on the performance setup being used...aka..."registration".  Each registration can have it's own unique pedal assigments.  A pedal can be sustain for one and rotary speed for another and anything in the list  of targets for others.  

Setup and organ tone and pedal to perform the toggle for speed. Save it as a registration. Setup another registration for piano that has the pedal as sustain.  Or to combine everything in one registration, you'll need to use two pedals....one for sustain and one for speed toggle. Two targets can be assigned to one pedal but you'll be toggling sustain on the organ at the same time your toggling speed.  

• Like 1

As Brad noted, the PX-560's DAMPER PEDAL has only one function; sustain. The ASSIGNABLE PEDAL, which is also the only one of the two that can accept a continuous expression pedal instead of a footswitch, is the one that can be programmed to do different functions, two at a time. This is unlike the MZ-X500, where the first pedal (actually called PEDAL1 in the User's Guides) has the same assignments as PEDAL2.

Comparing the implementations of features common to the PX-560 and the MZ-X models, I can almost see the development growth of the software from one to the other. I consider this yet another opportunity for improvement in the next firmware update of the PX-560, assuming it ever gets another one. It is clearly not difficult to give the DAMPER PEDAL the same functionality (as a footswitch only) that is provided for it in the MX-Z models; the code exists. Personally, such a thing would not be high on my priority list but it is relatively low-hanging fruit.

Brad, Alen, thank you both for taking the time to explain this. I get it now.

Several Nord keyboards allow the damper pedal to serve two purposes. When playing a piano patch it works for sustain. When using an organ patch, it serves as a toggle switch to go back back and forth between slow and fast rotary effect.  Each time you push the sustain pedal down and release, you alternate between fast and slow.  Speed remains the same until you press the sustain pedal and release again. So the pedal works like a two position toggle switch (slow and fast) 

• 10 months later...

My kurzweil PC3 defaults (like the nord) to use the damper for Rotary slow / fast switch. That would be convenient on the PX-560, so you could also use the assignable jack with an expression pedal for something else, like Drive amount for example like a real hammond. So, yes it would be awesome to see that in an update. The PX-560 is a great product in my opinion.

Where can you get this much in a stage piano and at the weight and price point. Bravo Casio ! 

But those Nord keyboards are RED. Life is full of tradeoffs. Mine was saving $2000 of my savings to invest. :^)

Buying an expression pedal is really the best way to control a rotary sound with complete speed control. It can also be used creatively to:

add strings or pads (on upper 2's volume) behind a Piano on upper 1.

vary LFO's, filters, effects for synths

vary the tempo? Need to try this idea out

The M Audio expression pedal works well for $29. But it's build quality reflects the cost. There are sturdy models for 2-3 times the price.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Again, I can use an ordinary on/off pedal switch in the 2nd pedal-expression jack to toggle fast/slow with the proper controller settings, and have the same type of simple on/off pedal in the damper pedal jack to control sustain for piano sounds with the PX-560 correct? In other words, use 2 simple on/off pedals in the 2 separate jacks for both sustain with one and leslie speed fast/slow with the other?

• 1 year later...

Nobody ever replied here, so I guess this is correct. I have managed a bunch of registrations that use an on/off switch in the assignable groups jack input that works to control speed. I can't seem to get the Leslie effect to be quite as aggressive as I'd like-or just more "pronounced".  I have an outboard pedal for that, but would be nice if I could get the built-in leslie effect to be stronger, more prominent. Even with "wet" level up in the settings for Leslie DSP, still doesn't seem to bring out the effect as much as I'd like. Any suggestions, other than using an outboard pedal. 

• 2 months later...