Hex Wurli?

moontom

I'm wondering if anyone has put together a nice Hex layer Wurli for the MXZ500.....I love Herbie's Rhodes in the hex presets and have experimented with creating a wurli but I must admit I've had not so good results.

really wish there was a way to convert some of the hex stuff people have done for the Privias etc for use in the MX

Are the Wurly's already in the MX-Z500 not sufficiently close? There are six "60's E.Piano" tones, one or more of which I would presume is what you are looking for ("60's E Piano" is the name for the Wurly's in some other models).

If you need something better one or more of the waves in the range 052 (60's EP 1-1) through 057 (60's EP 2-2) would be a natural starting point. Perhaps add in another tone during the attack (i.e., give it a percussion-like envelope) for high velocity notes that better simulates the overdrive of the reeds ("bark") with high playing force. What that other tone might be requires some experimentation and keeping an open mind while doing listening tests. I recommend not even looking at the name of the wave when you audition it. :)

PS. Maybe one of the creators of the following PX-5S sounds can break down the Hex Layer settings they used. While the patches are not file compatible with the MZ-X500 and the underlying waves may not be exactly the same (although chances are good they are), the same general techniques will apply.  

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I have not done those and I don't have a MZ-X500. I have a PX-560 and an XW-P1. As evidenced by a video I posted about the sax sound (I didn't make the video) the MZ-X500 can do a lot of things not possible on the PX-560 or on the XW-P1. (But by the same token the XW-P1 can do things not possible on either of the others.)