Depressed piano keys

Iris Lee

I hope someone can help me. I live in Papua New Guinea as an expat. I have a Celviano at home. I bought a Privia PX 730 here which had been on display for almost 5 years. I bought it 7 mos ago and it worked just fine until last. One key has become lower than the others akthiugh it still produces a sound... just a little tinnier. What could be the possible reasons?

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same problem and after many screws I found that this part (in Pic) is broken on my privia px 330. if anyone can tell me what this part is called and where I might be able to get replacements I would appreciate it very much. it is part of the action that holds the key up and gives a nice feel to the key when you press it. it is made of rubber and attaches to the hammer. Thank you in advance for any info you might have on this!!!

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

at first I have someone doing 3D plastic printing for me, but then more and more keys needed replacement, i ended up purchased those parts from Casio.

Local music stores should be able to order the parts.

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have a Privia PX-3BK with a big quantity of these problems.  As for me was impossible to find these parts on time, I just used a 3D  pencil and made my owns (after 10 million tests, and reopening the piano so many times, that right now I have it without screws) ... they work "more or less" because I made them by hand, and the key levels are not perfect.

So, I have been looking around for another piano, as my daughters are having piano classes and they need a good quality keybed .. and I was tempted on another Casio, but after checking that more and more Casio models have the same parts and all them have the same problems, no way, Casio is banned from my options.

This could be a design problem or maybe very humid weather damage these rubber parts quickly. 

For the Casio I was tempted on this (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2814736) and to replace ALL the remaining parts for having them the same size, but I am not really sure if this could be a good idea.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Marco Alvarado said:

I have a Privia PX-3BK with a big quantity of these problems.  As for me was impossible to find these parts on time, I just used a 3D  pencil and made my owns (after 10 million tests, and reopening the piano so many times, that right now I have it without screws) ... they work "more or less" because I made them by hand, and the key levels are not perfect.

So, I have been looking around for another piano, as my daughters are having piano classes and they need a good quality keybed .. and I was tempted on another Casio, but after checking that more and more Casio models have the same parts and all them have the same problems, no way, Casio is banned from my options.

This could be a design problem or maybe very humid weather damage these rubber parts quickly. 

For the Casio I was tempted on this (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2814736) and to replace ALL the remaining parts for having them the same size, but I am not really sure if this could be a good idea.

Very clever solution to 3D print parts! I find Casio still being the best value for money. My other keyboard is a new modern expensive Kawai and I've had issues with it. So, if you buy a brand new older model Casio, it will still be a good value, I think. Nothing lasts forever, but many 15 years old Casios are still going strong!

8 hours ago, Siberialina said:

Very clever solution to 3D print parts! I find Casio still being the best value for money. My other keyboard is a new modern expensive Kawai and I've had issues with it. So, if you buy a brand new older model Casio, it will still be a good value, I think. Nothing lasts forever, but many 15 years old Casios are still going strong!

Well .... my problem is that I am comparing the Casio with the unbreakable Yamaha DX 27, 35 years old I have near to it ... no weighted keys, but that machine is good as new, built as a tank.

In fact the only Casio problems are these rubber parts and some lousy connectors in the back, that you can easily fix with a soldering iron.  Could be possible there are other Casio models with a different type of keybed lacking these rubber ominous parts? --- I was checking a Studiologic with Fatar TP40/Wood, but "somebody" had problems after 4 usage months ---  at least I know the Casio 🙂

Let me dig a little more on seriously 3D print these parts.  I don't have a "real" 3D printer at hand right now, but maybe I can do something in that respect.  After replacing these parts with other material ones, I only had the level problem, as almost any other material is more resistant that the Casio's original parts.  But must be a little soft material with the right type of grease on them ( I tried wood - miserable failure -, cutting some parts of Gillette Sensor Plus 2 disposable razor with rubber covered handlers, with some success, soft hot glue - another failure -, some complex mechanical device that just last one month, and the 3D pencil, my best solution but not perfect ).

In fact i was thinking if could be possible to add some big fixed par through all the extension of the keybed, but I need to figure how to do it.  You know, to fix everything in one attempt.  Anyway, by now my PX3 is becoming a little Frankenstein.

Hi, I have this problem with my Celviano AP650 in some keys. I coudn't find the rubber parts in a good price here in Brazil. I get a person who made them in a 3D printer using PU filament. I changed every keys. Everything is fine now. The keys became slightly noisier. But they are good for me.

Haime ... it is good to know that replacing all the parts works.  Thanks for the reference.  This moves me to find some regular 3D printer and to try (it is interesting that only the white keys fail; I don't know if somebody had problems with the black ones).  About the noise, well, every real piano has noises as they are mechanic devices so, even could be more realistic that way.  On all my tests, I had two important ingredients: (1) if the part is not big enough, the key will have a space to kick making noise, but if it is very big, the key will be trapped and will not return at the right speed to its neutral position ... and (2) the grease reduces the noise and fill any gap, but it is important to be careful because in other discussion threads I noticed that when that grease go to the key electrical contacts there are other problems.

I really don't know if Casio made such parts to fail and, if it is not the case, why continues using them in other models.  If somebody at Casio is reading this, please, please, stop making these rubber parts and choose a better material instead or rethink that mechanism.  It is a shame that so nice pianos have that type of problems.