Video Files on Forum ×

Saving a layered tone as a User tone

Terence

If you are asking about "layered" or even "split" Preset Tones, such as Tone #016 (STRINGS PIANO) or Tone #018 (SYNTH-STR,PIANO) or Tone #019 (CHOIR PIANO), then YES, because the CTK-7200's sound engine "sees" and "treats" these as "single Tones", even though they actually contain two separate sounds, but the term "single Tone" contains a hidden connotation.  I assume you are asking this because you want to edit one or more of these and save them as User Tones.  Since the CTK-7200's sound engine "sees" and "treats" them as "single Tones", any parameter or effects edits you apply will be applied equally to both sounds.  For instance, if you extend the release time of the PIANO sound in Tone #016, the release time of the STRINGS sound will be increased by the same amount.  Likewise, if you apply a PHASER effect to the SYNTH-STR sound in Tone #018, it will be applied to the PIANO sound as well.  This may not always be what you want.  Unlike the high-end competitor workstations, such as Fantom, or Motif, etc, which do allow you to edit the individual "elements" of mixed tones such as these, the sound engine and Tone Editor of the CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX keyboards are just not that sophisticated.

Now, if you are asking if you can edit two separate preset Tones and save (combine) them together as "layered" into a single User Tone, then the answer is "NO".  In that case, you would need to edit each preset Tone and save them individually into their own separate User Tones, then use a Registration to combine them together into a "Layer".  This is a bit more complicated, but does allow something similar to the capabilities of the higher-end workstations, as you can apply edits and effects individually to the two sounds in the resulting layer or split.

Good luck with whatever you are up to !

Regards,

Ted

Thanks Ted. Yes I was asking the latter. I realize now that I can't save a layered tone ( one that I created) as a user tone however I can save it as part of a registration which works just as well. Heck I've got 96 of 'em!!  lolol   Thanks again for your help 

P.S. I just bought an MZ X 500. OMG!!  I love that board and I'm learning that the functionality and workflow is very similar to the CTK 7200 so I'm picking it up pretty fast.