lk175 does it record

I purchased an Lk175 I took it for granted it records songs  I know it samples a couple seconds I want to record at least for 4 minutes can it do that.

I don't think the lighted key board helps because by the time i hit the key it is too late. Should I have purchased a ctk do they record and sound better?

I am just learning to play but have been playing the guitar for years. Should I stick with the Lk175 for learning purposes or should I go to the CTK 6250 it seems more powerful

Thanks Jack 

Edited by Jack Ryan
Had more questions

Jack

The LK-175 is considered an entry level model, so it lacks the recording capabilities and tonal qualities of higher priced models,  It also lacks the dynamically touch sensitive keyboard of the higher priced models that, like a piano, produces a louder note as you strike the keys harder.  To get into an LK model with recording capabilities, you would need to move up to the LK-260 (approx $150 USD), but to get into the tonal quality of the CTK models, you would need to move up to the LK-280 (approx $180 USD).  The lowest priced CTK model with recording capabilities is the CTK-4400 (approx $150).  It is pretty much an LK-280 without the key lighting.  As you can see from the prices, the key lighting feature, itself, comes at a price.  So, you would need to decided if you would want to stay with that, or abandon it.  There are many who swear by the key lighting system as being the only way they could have ever learned to play, but I am like you.  It only served to confuse me.  I finally learned to play from a huge stack of "Easy Play Today" organ books with big lettered notes.  I then graduated to fake book lead sheets, then to regular score sheets.  If your LK-175 is returnable, I would recommend doing so, and going for, at least, the CTK-4400.  It is always best to go with the highest priced model you can comfortably afford.  It won't necessarily help you learn any faster, or play any better, but you will most likely be satisfied with it longer and get your money's worth out of it.

Best of luck !

Regards,

Ted

Hi Jack and welcome to the Casio Forums. What Ted said. :)  But if you want to record your keyboard play, there are many other ways to do it: If you have and iPhone or iPad and little adapter under $50 and a $15 app can turn it into a full  digital recording studio. Your computer can also be recruited for the same purpose, but the audio interface and software is more expensive. Finally, there are digital mulitrack recorders out there -- you will find them very handy if you want to record your voice, guitar, and keyboard. Some even have built in drum tracks. 

Thank you soooo much for the response. I love this forum already.I found out I still have a couple of days to return the LK175. MY next question is: They have a CTK 6250 that records (I don't want to record separately with software )and not much more expensive. Would that be a good move or is it too complicated. Do you know if it sounds better. Would it be too much for a someone just starting? Would I be losing the advantage of the training part of the LK175. I learn pretty quick.  Would the 6250 be able to be used to play out, I don't think theLK175 would sound good enough.

Thanks again.  Jack

Jack

I think the CTK-6250 would be a great upgrade to the LK-175 for you.  The only reason I did not mention it in my previous post was because I was not sure how tight of a budget you are on.  Its going price, in the us, is about $199.  If you would be considering the LK-260 or 280, you would be within $20 or $30 of the CTK-6250, which would certainly be a lot more bang for your buck, and yes, it would certainly sound better than any of the LK models.  There are many musicians, globally, that are gigging daily or weekly with the CTK-6250.  It may not have all the features of a $2000 or $3000 synth or workstation or stage piano, but it will certainly hold its own,  Where the LK models are considered entry level models, the CTK-6250 could easily be considered an entry level professional model.  Now, the CTK-6250 would not include any of the "learning" features of the LK models, but that ceratinly does not mean you can not learn on it.  Of course, the best method of learing to play is always with a professional instructor, but with today's limited time schedules and budgets, many of us have to resort to alternate choices.  For the money you would spend on the LK learning features, you can obtain books that would give you a much better, and more professional start, on your music endeavors,  The LK features train you more to mimic than to fully understand what you are doing, and after a month or so of serious work, you will have out grown their usefulness and be looking at something like the CTK-6250, so that you can branch out into further developing your growing skills.  Not sure if I have been much help on this, so will ring off for now and just wish you best of luck.

Oh, yes - and in regard to your original question - the CTK-6250 will have a "RECORD" button on the front panel.  You simply press that, play your performance, and it will be recorded to internal memory.  The CTK-6250 will store 5 performances (songs) internally, but when that fills up, you can offload them to an SD memory card that plugs into the back of the unit.  So the overall storage capacity is essentailly infinite.

Regards,

Ted

Ted thanks so much you have no idea how much you helped. Believe it or not today is the last day that I could return my lk175 and I did and ordered the CTK6250. Musicians Friend has a great 45 day policy (they are the best)  to try it out and that's what I did. Others agree with you if I am going to learn do it the right way by learning to read the music instead of memorize. I am in it for the long haul and I am serious so great suggestion. I will let you know how everything goes. Thanks again Jack Ryan (not Tom Clancy Jack Ryan)

Jack

Congratulations on your decision.  I am certain you will enjoy the CTK-6250.  Since the CTK-6250 has many features that are not on the LK models, it will have a steeper learning curve, but that is the main reason this forum exists,  We are here to help you over that "hump", particularly with the manual.  Now, far be it from me to ever say that Casio wrote a bad manual, so let's just say that the writers sometimes assume that you are already familiar with certain items that you may not be.  Everything you need to know is there, it's just that occasionally you may need some help finding or interpreting it.  I say this so that you will not panic or become discouraged when you run into such an occasion.  All of us who own, or have owned, any of the new CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX models have been, or are still going, through this.  I owned a WK-7500, a CTK-7000, and a CTK-6000, the immediate predecessor to your CTK-6250, for several years, until a few months ago.  Looking forward to "seeing" you here !

Once you get your CTK-6250, we will need to migrate you down to the WK-6500/6600 - CTK-6000/6200 sub-forum (scroll way - way down on the home screen), so that we don't get into trouble with the Admins for posting in the wrong forum.

Regards,

Ted