Video Files on Forum ×

Connecting PX-5S to DAC

haru

Hi all,

I recently purchased the PX-5S in the hope of connecting it to my DAC/amp (DACmini PX), which is connected to a pair of bookshelf speakers.

My wiring path is thus: Casio PX-5S (Line out) > 1/4” to RCA adapters > RCA cables > DACmini (RCA input)

Unfortunately, when everything is connected, alI I get is a buzz from the speakers.

Interestingly the same thing happened when I unplugged and touched the tip of the Casio’s DC plug. I realised the Casio and DACmini are plugged into different power outlets, so I plugged them into the same power strip but the problem remains.

Has anyone here successfully connected their Casio PX-5S to a DAC/receiver/etc?

Hello,

Besides buzz are you getting any output from the keyboard?

If it's buzz only, I would suspect that somewhere the connect is backwards - output to output, input to input, speaker connected to input jacks, etc.

If there is some keyboard sound, another thought is your connection of 1/4 inch cables to RCA adapters to RCA cables... the connection somewhere between the cables isn't good or the quality of some or all of the cables is poor.  The adapter may not be grounding the cables correctly or there could be a little play internally.  Buzz often has to do with poor grounding or receiving external interference (the cable or the adapter is behaving like an antennae).  Also make sure you are plugging your cables into the Analog input of your DAC.  The PX-5s is not outputting a digital signal. 

Please Note: the USB output on the back of the PX-5s is not an audio out; it's midi, so if you plug that into your DAC, not sure what would happen so don't do it.

Try using a quality 1/4" to RCA cable (no adapter in between).  See if that makes a difference.  Also be aware that the PX-5s uses unbalanced cables.  Check to make sure your DAC accepts that.