Video Files on Forum ×

A wish.... revamped Casiotone 1000p

I've been contemplating buying a vintage Casiotone 1000p - while the synth engine isn't the most awesome, I really like the innovative arpeggiator it has. The one thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the lack of a MIDI interface. Not knowing if anyone from Casio ever drops by these forums, I thought I'd put out my wish for a revamped 1000p.

Things to keep:

- arpeggiator, particular the way it is programmed

- basics of the synth engine (it may not be the best, but for what it does, I think it is pretty cool - see things to add to where I think it would make what is there better)

Things to expand:

- memory slots (so more patches/arpeggiator patterns can stored)

- # of simultaneous voices (16-32 would be my wish)

Things to consider adding in order of my personal pref:

- MIDI in/out/thru - arpeggiator can receive and send MIDI clock

- velocity sensitivity on the keyboard to affect volume (amplitude) and filter

- aftertouch to affect filter, volume, pitch, and lfo rate

- pitch bend wheel or joy stick

- additional effects: reverb, flanger, phaser, and gated reverb

- filter wheel or joy stick

- lfo wheel or joy stick

- weighted keys

Things to consider dropping:

- speaker

• 3 weeks later...

The 1000P does have a unique sound about it, very limited in some respects, though definitely characterful. I believe it's based on the sine wave synthesis that some early Casios used, which was then dropped in favour of the more flexible consonant vowel synthesis.

Some older keyboards can be retrofitted with MIDI via kits, though that's normally only as far as note on/ off MIDI is concerned. There's a possibility that the sequencer/ arpeggiator could be adapted to be clocked to MIDI also, but much depends on the schematics of the keyboard. 

All the effects you listed can be added simply by using guitar pedals or DAW effect sends. The other features suggested, to me, would be making it into a totally different synth. And with all those high level features, to then only have the limited 1000P sound engine is rather pointless.

Sadly, the 1000P is in no way regarded as a classic and to be honest, for good reason - it is too limited compared with other synths available at the time. It is almost unheard of and unknown outside of Casio collector circles. Casio has yet to re-issue an updated CZ series synth, and those ARE cult keyboards with much fondness from many who had and used them back in the 80's calling out for them to brought up to date with new features. If Casio's most popular retro synth hasn't been re-issued, I can't see an obscure oddball such as the 1000P getting the reissue treatment. 

Don't get me wrong, the 1000P is nice board for what it is, making some lovely, warm, organ/ wind type tones. Add in the onboard vibrato settings and it sounds quite interesting. It also has quite good bass, though it's a warm, smooth bass rather than punchy/ squelchy synth bass ala Roland Juno. Best thing would be to pick one up cheaply (they don't normally go for much), and just enjoy it for what it is. :2thu:

On 3/13/2017 at 11:03 AM, BradMZ said:

This model would be called a PX-5S.  You'll get everything on your list and more....except aftertouch. 

Pretty sure the XW-P1 and G1 could cover everything on the list too (except aftertouch). The arpeggiator requirement is very well covered on the XW's, and is programmed and operates in a kind of similar way to the 1000P as well. Add in the step sequencer, and the XW's basic synth waves (there will be some simple sine waves among then to replicate the 1000P) then you are getting close to mimicking the sound and features of the 1000P. Plus you get all the other XW features too.

• 2 years later...

Revisiting an old thread and hope people notice. I'm more interested in the vintage gear and particularly how this arpeggiator works. So I am really interested in hunting down a vintage one now.

In my research I found there was an interface kit made by Micro Musical Ltd in England to allow the arpeggiator to synchronize at least to some external gear. Does anyone know how easy it is to find? How many were made?