HELP - Px-5S sounding random notes

chrissk21

Need some help. I play the PX-5S live at church every weekend, and just recently it has started sounding random single notes. They happen at random intervals; usually about 3-4 times in a set. The best description I can give of them is that it sounds like someone is reaching over my shoulder and hitting a single note, out of key and out of time. It's VERY distracting. 

Here's my set up

Playing a piano stage setting with external audio out from the board itself. Have USB out to Mac laptop to control a synth in Reason. Also have a second keyboard (for Rhodes and organs) with its audio passing though the PX-5S and tied to a fader for volume control. Finally, I have a USB expression pedal going into the mac for volume and synth adjustment.

Here's what I've tried for troubleshooting

* Made sure I was on latest firmware

* Reset the board to factory (once) 

* turned off midi-in & USB-in on the px-5s

I cannot figure it out. I've used this setup or something very similar for nearly two years. Is there something wrong with the board itself?

-CK

Do what Brad said.

Also, what you describe sounds like something I've encountered - usually with older midi equipment.  In my case it was clock and sync related.  Some midi device isn't syncing correctly and "delaying" notes - that creep up at weird intervals once the hardware handles the event from the bad midi clock sync.

Check the midi clock and sync settings on all of your equipment and make sure your master keyboard is set to master and any slaves are set to slave.  Also make sure the clocks, counters, or metronomes aren't automatically activated once playing starts.

I also had a similar problem with bad midi cables.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to let everyone know that I think I've figured out what is causing the random notes.  I'm pretty sure that I have a faulty sensor in one of my F#s.  I stripped the system down to just the internal sounds the other night and rehearsed for several hours.  I finally was able to repeat the error.  Basically, when I press the F# a certain way (like when I'm playing quickly), it will cause the key to resound at full volume on the upstroke.  Unfortunately, I think this means a trip to the Casio Services for repair.  

• 2 months later...