Video Files on Forum ×

Mz-x500 registrations & midi questions

horse

I'm a happy px5s owner, and seriously tempted by a mzx500 for a new top board, so am I right in thinking I could do the following?

Create a registration on the mzx500, including 4 hex layers and samples assigned to pads, and then call that registration as a midi program change from the px5s? Eg I change patch on the px5s and it automatically pulls the defined patch up on the mz?

Sample memory sounds fairly limited at 4 long / 32 short - is quickly loading more from a usb stick viable live?

Is there anything else cool I could do with the px5s and mzx500 in combination which I might not have thought of?

Assuming the registration / midi patch changes work as I'd need then I'm going to find it hard to resist - the px5s is just so good!

I've had a look at the mzx500 documentation and can't really understand if I could change registrations via midi or not. I'd be happy if there was another way to achieve the same thing, using songs instead of registrations, or using the mzx500 to set the stage setting on the pxs5. Basically I just want to be able to select the patch for a song on one of the boards and have everything set ready on both, so PX5s stage setting, mzx500 zones, pads, sliders etc - don't really mind which board I use as the 'master' to achieve this.

Cheers

Pete

So far I have not found a way to change registrations on the MZ via midi using the PX-5S.  I haven't tried the other way around.

As far as sample memory, what you quoted (now 48 total samples due to firmware update, not 36) is dedicated sample memory for the pads, not overall sample memory for tones.  Beyond pad samples, the MZ-X500 has an additional 256mb of flash expansion memory for loading new wave data as "tones with waves".  

Thanks Brad - I think I've read Mike say elsewhere that mz-x500 registrations could not as yet send midi program changes, so perhaps not possible eitherway around, in which case I guess it isn't possible even with additional external hardware?  I have ordered one anyway(!), so I guess the best I might be able to do would be to put my stage settings and mzx registrations in the samr order on each board and step through them with button presses?

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...