ctk-2650 inputing outside source

I returned a lk-175 for a ctk-2650 because it could record but it only records 5 songs.

When i plug the 1/4 in jack into the input jack in the back and played some background music I wanted to play to and record on top of that, the sound  

did not come out the speaker like it did on the lk-175. Is there something I am missing. In other words. How do I get sound from an outside source and record

along. Another question is there a repeat function could I record 4 chords and have it repeat or loop. Obviously I have not spent much time learning yet

there is so much information I am over- whelmed, I could never use all this keyboard is capable of.

I

Jack

Since I can not find anything on a CTK-2650, I assume you mean the CTK-6250.  Plus, I believe that is what you were going to go after, as of our last conversation here.

That 1/4 inch jack you are referring to, on the back of the LK-175 was for inputting a signal to be "sampled".  Since the CTK-6250 has no "sampling" capabilities, it will not have an equivalent input.  As a matter of fact, the only audio input jack on the rear of the CTK-6250 is the 1/8 inch "Audio In" jack.  Its volume is controlled by the main volume knob on the front panel.  It requires a 1/8 inch STEREO (TRS - Tip/Ring/Sleeve) connector and allows you to connect the output of an MP3 or CD player to play along with, but signals input to this jack can not be recorded by the keyboard.  None of the 1/4 inch jacks on the rear of the CTK-6250 are audio inputs.  As you face the REAR of the keyboard, the 1/4 inch jack to the far left is the Sustain Pedal input.  The 1/4 inch jacks to the right of that are the Left and Right Line Out and headphones Out jacks.  If your keyboard DOES have a 1/4 inch jack labeled "MIC IN", then you have, in fact, a CTK-6600, not a CTK-6250.  This allows a dynamic microphone (only) to be connected and the signal to be passed through the keyboard's effects processor so that you can sing along with your playing, but that signal also can not be recorded.  All of the CTK/WK-6XXX models can record only MIDI - not audio.  You need to get into the CTK/WK-7XXX line for audio recording capabilities.  If you DO have a CTK-6600, dynamic microphones are very low level devices, so connecting the high level phones output of a CD or MP3 player through a 1/8 stereo to 1/4 inch mono adaptor to the MIC IN jack would not be wise, especially since you have the 1/8 inch Audio In jack specifically for that purpose.  Also, if you thought you purchased a CTK-6250, and the box says that, but you actually got a CTK-6600, then you may want to question that, as it could be a return that got stuck in the nearest available empty box.  The question, in that case, is why was it returned?

Sorry I should have been more careful it is a CTK-6250 and yes you did help me earlier in my decision to trade in the LK-175. It was a good move it sounds a lot more professional to me which means I can play it occasionally on gigs. Thanks for all the information, I'm getting there it all makes sense, just a learning process just like learning how to play, well hopefully not that long.  I will try all these combinations because that stuff interests me. It seems the best way to do it is plug everything into a small behringer usb mixer you can buy for $50.00 and use recording software as someone had mentioned earlier.  Thanks again it's all fun and a learning experience.